• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random Reboots

drexappeal

Extreme Android User
Apr 8, 2010
West LA, CA
Has anybody experienced random reboots?

I've already gone through most (if not all) the potential troubleshooting that I've done in the past, but still haven't tracked down exactly what could be causing my reboots.

I tried tracking down the app, based on logs that Avast keeps track of, but I'm not sure it's truly giving me the information I need.

If anybody knows of any apps I can install, that would give me definitive information on apps that might be causing the reboots, please post up your ideas (I'm open to all).

I'm likely to hard reset by the weekend, but figured I'd ask in here first, prior to doing the hard reset.

Reactions: xaelith
I've had a few, never traced down an offending app. It was very random, with no way to reliably repeat. It wouldn't bother me so much except that the reboot (on Verizon) flashes a full brightness white screen and plays music. Both of those are incredibly annoying when it reboots at night or if I'm in a meeting.

Thanks for chiming in. I think I will likely have to hard reset.

Upvote 0
I've been getting them too. The only thing I can find consistent with each incident was that I was listening to music with the Google Play Music app through a bluetooth headset while the phone was in my pocket. It's happened so often that I just chalked it up to the power button somehow getting pressed and have since been setting my Note on the desk when I go to sit down. So far so good...

Upvote 0
I've been getting them too. The only thing I can find consistent with each incident was that I was listening to music with the Google Play Music app through a bluetooth headset while the phone was in my pocket. It's happened so often that I just chalked it up to the power button somehow getting pressed and have since been setting my Note on the desk when I go to sit down. So far so good...

Part of me was thinking that it might be bluetooth generated, specific to the Sony MW1 that I use during the day (since it requires additional apps, for transmitting emails, texts, and social networking messages), but it reboots even when I'm not using the bt adapter.

I did some digging and found an article talking about Note 3 random reboots, but considering that this hasn't been happening until fairly recently, I'm doubting that the issues mentioned are connected to mine.

Reactions: xaelith
Upvote 0
Part of me was thinking that it might be bluetooth generated, specific to the Sony MW1 that I use during the day (since it requires additional apps, for transmitting emails, texts, and social networking messages), but it reboots even when I'm not using the bt adapter.

I did some digging and found an article talking about Note 3 random reboots, but considering that this hasn't been happening until fairly recently, I'm doubting that the issues mentioned are connected to mine.

It could be BT-related, but if so, it's about as random as random gets. I've had days where I've listened to music for hours on end with no issues, and others where the phone seemed to reboot every other song. Since it might be related, I've also had times where one or more of the buttons on the headset will randomly stop working until I press a different button or stop the music on the phone itself. Very irritating when someone's trying to talk to you, and the pause button refuses to cooperate! :p

Upvote 0
btw...since updating to Kit Kat yesterday morning, I haven't seen any signs of a random reboot. No clue what was causing the issue yet. Part of me felt like maybe it was the physical battery getting lodged out of place, but we'll see if it comes back, over the weekend. Just wanted to bump this up, in case anybody else had experienced random reboot issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones