• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RC29 - Quick Review

GODMODE

Oct 15, 2008
Massachusetts
www.godmode.com
After manually upgrading the G1 to RC29, I have seen a dramatic improvement in some areas of the system:

- Scrolling is much improved and smoother
- Battery life (or more appropriately the batter meter) is more accurate
- WiFi Is more stable
- Swipes and long presses are not as easily mistaken for other screen maneuvers.

* Some things that I have noticed (dosn't mean they weren't there before) when a calendar event is shown, the screen blurs and the event is brought to the forefront - neat.
* Still no advanced accelerometer implementation (except for PicSay).
* GPS is still very inaccurate to the point of unusable (for me).
* Battery doesn't seem to get as warm with extended 3G use.
* Battery lasts a good 14 hours or more. Letting it drain down is a good idea - seems to "break it in" (?).

Thats all I could come up with playing around - feel free to add!

I got the RC30 this past weekend:

(1) Battert meter seems to be even more accurate - perhaps better memory management, or some code shuffled around, who knows. Its 5:45 (EST) and I havr 65% left from 8:00AM this morning.

(2) Web pages render better - smalle example: Craigs List used to NOT show the gray headers or proper search area - now, it does.

Interesting.

Post your discoveries here :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones