• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RealPlayer beta app available in the market

Garemlin

Dec 24, 2009
Delaware
RealPlayer is the best all-in-one multimedia app for organizing and playing your favorite content on the go.

Currently available as a free download from the Android Market, RealPlayer makes it easier than ever to watch a video, listen to music, or even view a slideshow of your favorite photos.

chart

The music player is decent, partially because there aren't that many good music players on android. Perhaps more options (change pitch, an equalizer, speed, etc), and also the interface needs work, one thing that I dislike is this auto changing from album to album art, gets annoying. Also the menu at the bottom that shows all artist, albums, songs, etc, is really ugly and should be removed/reworked. One thing it needs and is a MUST for me to ever use it, is to limit my music to a folder. I HATE music players that don't have this option as it will load sounds from my navigation program and games. Annoying.

As for the video portion. Absolute crap right now. Takes awhile to load, and doesn't play video codecs that android supports that well. Needs a lot of work, and if it could get more codec supports like xvid/divx, avi, mkv, etc, then I could see using it.

Photo gallery is worse than the stock gallery. Ugly and no options really that are useful.

The music portion shows potential, but it has a ways to go before I'd use it more than just to try it out.

Upvote 0
I too would like it if Real or other media app developers could get Android to playback WMA files/streams and other audio formats.

As WMA is a Microsoft proprietary format, I understand that it would be a larger project that would certainly need a proper developer team to make it happen without a team effort. Though I know it's been done on other O/S'

Many thanks,
Jim.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones