• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restarting and freezing

Partner's phone, a few weeks ago, began restarting then freezing on the Boost screen. Sometimes it would do it a few seconds after turning it on, sometimes it would do it after a minute or so. I'd start it in safe mode, and it would stay on - for a few moments longer, it seemed, but would always restart and freeze. Once in a great while it'd restart and successfully finish loading (no freezing), only to restart and then freeze.

I was trying to download an app to save his texts (thought we had them backed up, sadly that wasn't so), but the app would not download because of an error. I tried updating Play, but it couldn't. This was between it constantly restarting. I tried updating Android, but it couldn't due to an error.

I finally had to factory reset; was sad to lose messages from a cousin that had passed, but the phone was inoperable. Even more sadly, this didn't work. Phone still won't stay on, although it will go for some time now before restart/freeze. Still cannot run the Android updater, as it keeps crashing or just not working. Various processes suddenly stop (contacts, updater, calendar).

Any options besides rooting? I'm somewhat okay with working with phones, rooted a couple of older ones, I'm just worried I'm going to go through all that and it still won't matter . . . .

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones