• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restore Apps from ROM Manager

4GSam

Lurker
Dec 9, 2010
Hello everyone. I've owned a Captivate since August and I love this phone..had it rooted for quite some time but did not dive into custom ROMs or anything until today. I did some research and downloaded a Cognition ROM that enables HSUPA and it worked great. Before doing all this, I copied the contents of whatever was on my phone onto my computer, and also did a ROM Manager backup of my rooted, stock ROM before I flashed.

After playing with the new ROM I installed (which installed fine), I went into recovery mode and flashed back to the backup I had of my stock ROM.

So once that was done, all my pictures, music, files, notes, and the lock screen pattern were all there, but I still have no apps. Also, I cannot get the Marketplace to connect to Google no matter what I try.

I DID do a restore to the backup I made before I did anything drastic, but my captivate shows Baseband Version I9000UGJH2 still, Kernel is 2.6.29 (atin@thor) #Voodoo_lagix_3.0_v.1.10. Firmware is 2.1-update1.

I thought flashing back to my old ROM would also replace the baseband and Kernel.

During the backup phase I noticed it backed up all my data from my apps. I assumed this would include apps. Heck, even my widget positions are still there, but there are no widgets to fill them in. And since it can't connect to the Market I don't know how to get any back.

Any ideas? I'm new to ROM flashing but not to the terminal. I'm not afraid to dig into anything.

i had same wierd problem, so I never rom manager for my back up now....I stock to stock...flash new rom and use titanium backup...for backing up the apps and user data...

I think the problem with rom manager is that it back up the Rom itself...So if u r backing up stock rom after flashing custom rom...its all messed up..I had soft briicked my phone like that lol...but if u r using same rom and flashing kernel/modem/theme, then u can use rom manager

I am not expert in flashing too, just learned this while playing with my cappy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones