1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Restore contacts from nandroid Bricked backup?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SpunkyXL, Jul 7, 2011.

1. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Just bricked my phone when attempting to root it (Stuck on Google screen). But Luckily I was able to push clockwork mod. So I was able to load a new Rom..But prior to loading the new Rom, I was able to backup the bricked ROM I had running through Clockwork (So I can save current data)...Now that I have my phone up and running, is it possible to just restore settings/contacts/call History, etc from the bricked backup to my new loaded ROM?

Advertisement

2. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    I would like restore my text messages too from the backup. Because the Rom is bricked, I can't just load the backup and then save everything to the new Rom. :(

3. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Wichita/Lawrence, Kansas
    call history won't be saved when going to a new ROM bkuz you wipe everything before flashing. as far as your backup if it's corrupt all you data is as well. did you alter the backup's file name?

4. decalex

decalex Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Graphic Designer/Art Director
    Orange County, CA
    I can update this post later with more thorough information, but most likely, this will help.

Go into your sdcard under Clockworkmod/backups (or something like that) and copy the particular backup (that contains your logs) to your computer.

Grab unyaffs, a tool that will let you extract .img files (which the clockwork backups are).

Android programming
    Download the "unyaffs (prebuilt Windows version)"

I would just save and extract the unyaffs zip, with contents, into the same directory on your computer where you copied your backups.

Next, open a command prompt (windows, cmd, enter), navigate to said directory, and type unyaffs. This should give you the instructions on how to extract the img. Something like unyaffs data.img.

Your call logs and messages are all located in the data.img, which basically contains all of your /data files, i.e. non-system apps and settings.

Your call logs are located in the logs.db
    data/data/com.somethingsomething.providers/ (will update that later).

Your sms messages are located in mmssms.db also in
    data/data/(will update later with folder name if you can't find).

Hopefully this will get you started, and I'll give you more info if you need it.

5. decalex

decalex Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Graphic Designer/Art Director
    Orange County, CA
    not necessarily true.

6. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Wichita/Lawrence, Kansas
    i was speaking in general terms. if he was asking the question then he wouldn't know how to do it manually do restore it bkuz technically nothing is never fully erased.

Tags: