• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restore original recovery

I have an LG G2 (D800) ATT, Lollipop 5.0.2 and rooted. My goal was to install Marshmallow 6.x so I installed TWRP 2.8.6.0 but unfortunately because my G2 was already encrypted I always get a critical error when I boot recovery. I did not backup my factory recovery before I installed TWRP.

• Where can I download the original LG G2 D800 recovery?
  • Since TWRP stopped supporting G2 with version 2.8.6.0 can I safely install TWRP 3.x which supports encrypted phones?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sumatrah
I wouldn't try to work your way around it. The G2 has some significant workarounds as it is, including downgrading part of the bootstack in order to be where you're at now. It's too risky.

Instead, I would tot back to stock using the instructs here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Then you can get back up to LP and use Bender's LP Autorec for root and recovery.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I wouldn't try to work your way around it. The G2 has some significant workarounds as it is, including downgrading part of the bootstack in order to be where you're at now. It's too risky.

Instead, I would tot back to stock using the instructs here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Then you can get back up to LP and use Bender's LP Autorec for root and recovery.

UPDATE - I successfully decrypted the phone, and I can boot normally (not bricked), so I know the encryption is not the problem. However, when I boot into TWRP recovery I still get the error "Secure boot error. Boot certification error." Does this change your previous answer? I would like to proceed with a Marshmallow update, but I need to boot TWRP recovery to do so.

Upvote 0
I was deeply involved with this device in the earlier days but I haven't run it for the better part of 2 years now so I'm not up on the latest offerings. I didn't think the G2 was slated to get MM, so are you talking about flashing a custom rom based on MM? If so, could you provide a link to that rom? It likely has specific prerequisites which will hopefully be clearly stated. My guess is that my previous reply would still be applicable but a review of the rom thread would allow us to be sure.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones