• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Restoring to "Out of the box" state?

shaggymatt

Oct 29, 2009
Tough search terms, especially for my situation, so hopefully someone can give me the answer here...

My Incredible arrived today, and my wife is getting the Droid. So I'd like to return the phone to out of the box new state before giving it to her so that she can install the apps that she wants. More like I can install apps for her. :cool:

This phone is a replacement phone, I had one with a possessed screen that was replaced by VZW. That phone was rooted, the current Droid is not. So the update.zip on the SD card is not a "Factory" update.zip file.

If I do the settings/privacy/factory data rest - does that use a file on the device, or does it look to the update.zip file?

Thanks. Does it leave all applications installed? .

A factory reset will not leave any app on your phone at all. I suggest going to AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market and creating an account. Then scan the following QR code with your barcode scanner and download the AppBrain app.

Open the app and choose manage apps. Then select "Sync With AppBrain".

When you get your new phone, you can download the AppBrain app again and open it. Select manage apps and then "Sync With AppBrain". You can then choose each app you wish to install individually by simply touching the app name in the AppBrain app or (if you wan to install all the apps again), simply touch "Perform Installs" and install each app.

When you install the first app from the market, I believe the new version of the app will take you directly to the next app to be installed. If it doesn't take you to the next app automatically, just press the back button on your Phone once and that will take you to the next app.

If you have any questions about this app or how to use it, feel free to ask here or PM me. I am very willing to help you do this.

img.php

Kratos

Reactions: shaggymatt
Upvote 0
Thanks again to kratos! I just found the same information on the Motorola site: DROID - Master Reset / Factory Data Reset

I think I want to start with a clean slate, so I'll skip the Appbrain install. Thanks for your offer of assistance!

Fair enough, you're welcome, and any time.

I would still suggest using AppBrain just because of how ell it works. Also, after you are done with your factory reset, just install AppBrain again and select manage my apps, then sync with app brain. It will pull up all of the apps you previously had installed and you can pick and choose which apps you wish to reinstall. Just touch each individual app and it will take you to that app to install it. Or if you want all of your apps installed again, just press perform installs and then it will automatically take you to each app to reinstall. Just makes it easier to find and install the app you had before.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones