• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus (COP+) w/in-line remote w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus (COP+) full size headphones. http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/custom-one-pro-plus-black.html

Though I have looked at COP in the past, I’m glad I got another chance to revisit these Beyerdynamic headphones that recently been updated to COP+. A little over a year ago when I tested the original COP, I had more exposure to IEMs and not as much to full size headphones, and as a result in my review I focused more on a lack of portability rather than benefit of their unique design. So here I’m, with a fresh new pair of COP+ and another opportunity to kick their tires (with soft plushy earpads) and rev up into the high gear (by shifting sound slider) of this Made in Germany roadster! Here is what I found.

First of all, COP+ is identical to COP but now bundled with more accessories. Some might question, more accessories? So, what? Well, it is a big deal since Beyer actually added some useful goodies to enhance the “Custom” experience of COP. In a few words about the packaging, it’s identical to COP with an addition of a sticker noting it's a PLUS model where you get a bonus cable with in-line phone control and 16 pairs of custom earcup plates (more about it later). The box is large and glossy with a bold presentation of Custom One Pro graphics on the cover and a detailed technical spec on the back. And yes, a picture of the “pirate” looking guy on the back is still there! Inside of the box you still find a hex wrench for customization purpose and headphones sitting on top for the carton wedge with all the accessories and instructions inside of it. Something I missed in my original review, that “storage” wedge actually makes a great headphone stand to display your pair of COP+.

Unboxing pictures.

beyer_cop-plus-01_zps22d0cd23.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-02_zps3907fdba.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-03_zps455e6e12.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-04_zpse9fcd950.jpg

With everything out of the box, you can take a closer look at the included accessories. First of all you get 2 sets of straight removable cable, one for audio only purpose with a threaded end for ¼” adapter (also included) and another one with universal in-line control and mic for use with smartphones and a slightly tapered housing to work even with bulky cases. To eliminate confusion between Apple and Android devices, the in-line control has only a single multi-function button which I found to work perfectly with my Galaxy Note 4 where a single click performs Play/Pause/Call, double click to Skip Next, triple click to Skip Prev, and long press to start Google Search. Also, the fact that in-line remote is located closer to the earcup side brings the mic next to your mouth to pick up sound better during a phone call. Last but not least you have a set of 16 custom art earcup plates made out of a thick laminated carton. The graphics is on both sides of the plates so you have fewer pieces to worry about. One missing accessory was a storage bag which I was quite surprised Beyer didn’t include with COP+ (wasn’t included with original COP either). Considering COP+ doesn’t have a travel friendly footprint since nothing could be folded/collapsed in, I recommend a Slappa full size headphone case for a safe and secure storage.

Accessory pictures.

beyer_cop-plus-05_zpse3ccb3f0.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-06_zps9f486023.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-07_zpse53d2a68.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-08_zpsacde32fe.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-09_zps4ea25ebf.jpg

Slappa case picture.

beyer_cop-plus-26_zps21acf070.jpg

To be honest, I usually like purity of the original design and typically against customization stickers, but here I was excited to pimp COP+, and as a matter of fact found a perfect set of art graphics to complement its look. I actually found it to be a great idea that Beyer included extra plates with COP+. Let’s be honest, for most of us having access to customize something don’t mean that we are actually going to put any effort into buying extra plates. It’s a nice selling point of the product to know that you can actually do that, but I personally wouldn’t lift my finger to go further lol!!! Here, I had all the tools and supplies right in front of me, and felt like my pre-teen kids working on their art projects!!!

Earcup plate customization pictures.

beyer_cop-plus-22_zps0eeb1648.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-23_zpsb57d45d7.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-24_zps1c1496d4.jpg

Another very important part of COP+ design is a sound slider located on both Left and Right earcups. Just think about it, how much sound shaping can you really do with full size headphones? Maybe a new set of earpads with thicker padding or a better quality cable? Not as much as you can do with some of the extreme tip rolling in IEMs. In case of COP+, you have a slider switch with 4 positions that allow you to change the amount of bass from reference neutral, all the way to enhanced level reaching close to basshead quantity. Surprisingly, the adjusted quality of the bass is rather clean, affecting mostly the low frequency range without too much bleed into lower mids or the rest of the spectrum. Also, this bass adjustment is not just “to add bass” but to improve the balance of the sound, and to add more body and the warmth suiting your specific music genre. It’s not just a subtle gimmick – it actually VERY noticeable as you move the slider. Just have to be aware to do it on both of the earcups since a slider is a mechanical independent switch between earcups. Furthermore, as you adjust the bass quantity, you are also doing reverse change of external noise isolation. In reality, the adjustment opens up different vent ports where at 1 all the ports are closed, providing you with maximum sound isolation. Opening them up brings more bass into the sound, while also reducing a level of this isolation. It actually works quite well providing you more isolation at neutral level, and less at enhanced bass level.

Port tuning pictures from instruction booklet

beyer_cop-plus-10_zpsfa467ee2.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-11_zps619a8fb8.jpg

As I mentioned before, the design of COP+ hasn’t changed and remained identical to the original COP cans. It’s still a very high quality with a metal headband that retains a comfortable clamping force. Also, you get a high quality metal y-fork piece connected to plastic earcups and going into the headband to adjust the height of the fitment. Headband itself has a nice soft pleather wrapping which is actually removable and replaceable to customize the look of your COP+. The same with earpads, they are very plush and soft and can be customized with other color or finish earpads. Earpads are made with pleather and I do have to note that after extended listening period they get a bit hot, but not overwhelming. Some people suggest using Beyer velour pads, something I might have to look into closer in a future.

Another important point of the design is a single earcup removable cable which has a sliding lock mechanism. It’s not a twist on mechanism, but rather a slide lock to prevent cable from accidental unplugging during pulling. I know some people are not fans of proprietary cables, but from a more optimistic perspective – these cables with lock mechanism have a thicker housing which allows regular standard cables with an average or slim housing to be inserted without any problem. Last but not least, COP+ model still has a large non-collapsible design which is not very travel friendly. As I mentioned before, you will have to look for a storage case (such as Slappa) to accommodate full size footprint. Also, earcups themselves are rather boxy and thicker than majority of other full size cans in a same category. I will leave it up to your personal preference, though I can see myself being a bit self-conscious walking outside with these large cans on the street. But inside, it’s a different story!!!

Design detail pictures.

beyer_cop-plus-12_zps60d35208.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-13_zps25d0fc83.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-14_zpsd2fc5844.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-15_zps692e9175.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-16_zps338548b1.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-17_zps96c2e617.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-18_zpsafd206ae.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-19_zps4166a612.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-20_zpsfc231e5c.jpg

beyer_cop-plus-21_zpsab9e5daf.jpg

When it comes to a sound test, you really feel like listening to different sets of headphones. One thing remains in common - COP+ has a very clean and clear sound with a smooth retrieval of details. But before you get to enjoy it, you need a good 50+ hrs of burn in to condition these dynamic drivers. Some people jump to early conclusion thinking headphones will sound great out of the box, or perhaps you can move a slider to make it sound better. These really need a good two days of free air burn in to bring their sound to a full potential.
First thing that I noticed with COP+ was a wide and open soundstage. I guess I should add that during my testing I was doing a lot of A/B comparison with ATH-M50x which I found to be a good reference especially when COP+ slider was in Position 3 (vibrant bass) which matched sound signature of M50x very close. But soundstage felt wider and deeper in COP+ which helped with layering and separation of the instruments. On a contrary, mids of M50x were more organic, brighter, and slightly forward in comparison.

Starting with a bass, you probably have to ask yourself, which slider position? In Position 1 and 2 it feels slightly north of neutral in quantity, still with a noticeable punch of mid-bass. But in a Position 3 and 4 you get sub-bass to come into play which adds more weight and body, and a bit of a spillage into lower mids but ONLY in Position 4. Personally, I prefer Position 3 where it has a perfect balance between sub-bass and mid-bass, and felt the most controlled, clean, and balanced. Mids go from thinner to fuller body with a switch change as well, clear and detailed, but with a slider going up you will notice a slight offset of sound balance pushing them a bit back and turning sound sig slightly recessed. Also, vocals delivery and presentation was realistic and pleasantly smooth. Treble is very smooth and clear, with some sparkle and no sign of sibilance, contributing great to non-fatigue extended listening experience.

Overall, I found COP+ to be very impressive in both design and flexibility of sound shaping. They are not exactly an analytical type of bright signature headphones or the one that delivers highest quality and purity of bass. These headphones are really a jack of all trades with a secret weapon of being able to adjust to your listening preference with a flicker of a switch. You get a clean natural sound with a smooth retrieval of details wrapped in a rather impressive soundstage. There is no more complaining about bass being too much in your face listening to your favorite classical piece or having not enough sub-bass to pound your ears with the latest EDM track, and while you at it – pick up a call without taking your headphones off. They are not exactly portable to take outside and a bit on a pricey side at $229 where I consider $199 to be a more reasonable competitive price, but you also have to keep in mind that you are dealing with some unique features not to be found on any other set of headphones. Beyerdynamic COP+ definitely gets my recommendation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones