• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of Slappa HardBody cases for headphones w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of Slappa HardBody Pro cases for Full Size, Folded Size, and Earbud headphones. DJ Cases, DJ Bags, DJ Trolley, CD Cases, Headphone Cases, Backpacks, DJ Backpacks by SLAPPA

A lot of you probably expected this is going to be yet another review from me about smartphone cases, but here is a surprise. I have a lot of headphones in my collection which I've reviewed here in the forum, and with an exception of V-Moda (M-80 and M-100 cases don't need any special introduction), I never been happy with any OEM cases. I know they all trying to stand out from a crowd, but in my opinion a lot of them are just not practical. So I just accepted it as is, until I got ATH-M50 which as you know from my review comes with just a draw string pouch. That triggered my search for after-market headphone cases, and discovery of Slappa products. I have seen some cheap stuff on ebay and amazon, but when I actually visited their official webpage (SLAPPA laptop bags, Backpacks, laptop cases, headphone cases, CD cases and DVD storage), I realized their prices are actually a fraction of how much it costs on Amazon. Yes, I know its bizarre and typically works all the way around, so keep it in mind if you are planning to get these: directly from Slappa website it will cost you a lot less.

For my review I decided to get all 3 types of their HardBody cases, for Full Size headphones, Folding headphones, and In-ear headphones to test with my ATH-M50, B&W P7, "Beats", UE900, W40, and also E18 and Sansa clip.

slappa_cases-01_zps08edec43.jpg

Starting with HardBody Pro Full Size case ($20.99, SLAPPA headphone case), it's duro-shock xEVA molded case is designed for a full size headphone fitment, and according to Slappa is actually water resistant and fire ******ant. Obviously, you don't want to throw it in a water or a fire, but it's nice to know that it can withstand water splash and can stand a heat. It has two molded alloy zipper pullers, and zipper itself is externally hidden once a case zipped up. There is also an exterior tab to hook up carabiner if you want to. Exterior has dimpled finished, and stamped "slappa" symbol. Inside, it has a very soft black velveteen lining, definitely no worries about scratching your headphones. I also noticed the design has a nicely rounded/wrapped inner case edge to protect cables from getting pinched or anything rubbing against a zipper.

slappa_cases-02_zps40429f1e.jpg

slappa_cases-03_zps3a83c47c.jpg

slappa_cases-04_zps59deb1e3.jpg

slappa_cases-05_zpsd8fbc50a.jpg

slappa_cases-06_zps4eb41b37.jpg

slappa_cases-07_zpsb5042838.jpg

Here is how it looks with "Beats", B&W P7, and ATH-M50. With a later two, I used E18 in various positions. There is plenty of room for your DAP or portable AMP. Of course, you would want to keep your DAP/AMP inside of its own OEM sleeve/case, but for the sake of pictures I left E18 without one. What's great about full size case fitment, you don't need to remove audio cable and can possibly leave your headband extended per your adjusted fitment without a need to collapse it.

With Beats

slappa_cases-08_zps7982058f.jpg

slappa_cases-09_zpseeda8cbb.jpg

With B&W P7

slappa_cases-10_zps8041072b.jpg

slappa_cases-11_zps8f9a5ed3.jpg

slappa_cases-12_zps09d5538c.jpg

With ATH-M50

slappa_cases-13_zpsb797f5d7.jpg

slappa_cases-14_zps89110172.jpg

slappa_cases-15_zps4226f06a.jpg

Next is the HardBody Pro Folding-headphone case ($14.69, HardBody PRO Headphone Case by SLAPPA). It also features molded duro-shock xEVA shell, but actually comes with a smooth rubberized PVC exterior finish and a soft synthetic lining. This case is also available in dimpled finish exterior. It has only one zipper puller, but comes with a removable cary strap. The edges are also wrapped and raised above a zipper so nothing will rub or get pinched inside.

slappa_cases-16_zps1c184664.jpg

slappa_cases-17_zps6a756a79.jpg

slappa_cases-18_zpse5d59c44.jpg

slappa_cases-19_zps5e04ba30.jpg

slappa_cases-20_zps19cd791c.jpg

Once folded, ATH-M50 had a perfect fitment!!! I also tried it with my MDR7506 (not pictured), and was able to fit B&W P7 without a problem. "Beats" didn't fit because of a less flexible headband. Including Sansa+ clip mp3 player was not an issue either. In addition to like-a-glove fitment, I had no problem closing and zipping up the case, and didn't have to apply any force to close it. Obviously, this case will have a come compact fitment in comparison to full size.

With B&W P7

slappa_cases-21_zpsdb015c87.jpg

slappa_cases-22_zps6489a793.jpg

With ATH-M50

slappa_cases-23_zpse3ac2b62.jpg

slappa_cases-24_zps44fc3b34.jpg

Last, but not least, is HardBody Earbud case ($9.09, SLAPPA Earbud Case). Featuring the same molded xEVA shell, this little guy has a sort of inter-weaved synthetic finish reminding me of carbon fiber texture, and a single pulley alloy zipper with Slappa symbol (the same design used in all of their cases). Inside, you will find a soft black velveteen lining, with a special soft red lining around the edges to protect headphones from coming in contact with a zipper. Furthermore, there is a generous mesh pocket to store the cables so they don't get tangled up with earbuds.

slappa_cases-25_zps65a76e5e.jpg

slappa_cases-26_zps7582ee84.jpg

slappa_cases-27_zps23c6a9a1.jpg

slappa_cases-28_zpsc360a35a.jpg

It worked great for both UE900 and W40 and mesh pocket was large enough to house the cables with 3.5mm connector, even considering UE900 had a cable with in-line remote. I liked the look with W40 especially since I'm using custom color black and red (for Right earpiece) plates so it matched the color scheme.

With UE900

slappa_cases-29_zps517ff465.jpg

With W40

slappa_cases-30_zpsa696b615.jpg

Overall, I was VERY impressed with a design and a build quality of these cases. Also, as long as you shop directly from their website, price is very reasonable. It's funny how I have in here almost grand and a half worth of headphones, but the picture is not complete without $9, $15, and $20 cases! Definitely gets my High Recommendation!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones