• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rings then speaks callers name issue, after Kit Kat update

Ever since my phone updated to Kit Kat last week it's been doing a couple of weird things. Overall it's working much better (better battery life for sure!) but these things are an annoyance. I'll make a post for each issue.

The first thing is it talks to me when it rings. It will ring, and then speak the phone number/name of the caller, and repeat. I thought this must be something in accessibility (even though I hadn't changed any settings, started doing this on it's own after the upgrade) but I can't find the option for this anywhere. I know in the Motrola SmartActions app that's one of the things you can turn on, and I have that enabled when the Drive mode action is enabled, but it does this even when the phone is not in Drive mode, and even when there aren't any SmartActions active at all. I don't believe it's SmartActions that's causing this, because that announces text messages as well and this is only happening for phone calls not texts.

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset on the phone but thought I'd see if anyone else had noticed similar behaviors or knew how to turn this feature off.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones