• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rintones going in & taken out Dedicated tones to individuals?

Megalomando

Feb 14, 2012
I'm a Ham Radio operator and want to make custom MP3s of my friends names in code so I can have the ring tone say their name when they call & spell their name in morse code at 30 words per minute. I'll know immediately who they are and this will be fun for me.

I learned today to use the built in music player, go to the playlist, press on a desired name of an MP3 and choose "add to ringtone" and it's done but that is just the main ringtone & all calls will ring this. & that's better than the usual noisemakers they give as ringtones but I want one exclusively for each person.

The phone is rooted and I have root explorer, superuser, Titanium Backup, Aps2SD & poweramp loaded. Can I do what I want with these tools or do I need a more friendly app?

And how do I remove a ringtone if I no longer need it?

Thanks!

Thanks for that. Not sure where the ringtones folder is, I took a look at the SD card and there was no ringtone folder in it, did a check of the files in nothing there either. Where do I locate the folder?

On the blackberry there was a folder called ringtones and that was it. Perhaps it's in the Admire somewhere but I'm not sure how to load into that.

Upvote 0
Open root explorer and tap the r/w button

Go to system/media/audio/ and find the ringtones folder.

Delete unwanted files and replace them with your own files.

Yours should be in /sdcard
Go there press the phones menu button and select multi select. Choose to move the files and drop them back in the ringtone folder.

You have now replaced the phones stock ringtones with your own. Even on factory reset the tones will still be there.

Upvote 0
Open root explorer and tap the r/w button

Go to system/media/audio/ and find the ringtones folder.

Delete unwanted files and replace them with your own files.

Yours should be in /sdcard
Go there press the phones menu button and select multi select. Choose to move the files and drop them back in the ringtone folder.

You have now replaced the phones stock ringtones with your own. Even on factory reset the tones will still be there.

:)

I looked and the ringtones folder was missing in the media/audio folder....strange but only the notification folder existed.

/media/audio/notifications

So I added or in this case created the ringtones folder in the

/media/audio folder that now is the
/media/audio/ringtones folder.

Also if your like me and you make your own ringtone, I use mixcraft and cut any part of a song and take note the ringtone shouldn't be longer then 24 seconds as that is how long your phone will ring.

I attached a personal ringtone I created from many sample bits of a movie with the message "Captain icoming message" for text messages or email notification...kool

Rooted Samsung Admire and the HDMI out LG Esteem
Carlos Z :p

PS Who can quess who is speaking in the ringtone?

Attachments

• STworfRingtone.mp3
    315 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones