• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Roadrover car multimedia - can't update and install apps

oy87

Lurker
Jul 27, 2020
Hello,
I have a Roadrover ChangAn S car multimedia that running android version 4.1.1.
I can't update and install apps, there is no Google Play app (i get the google play indirectly but when i tried to install any app, the running bar stucks on "downloading").
There is a way to unlock the system?

Reactions: Deleted User
Android 4.1.1 is a very dated, unsupported version going back a good eight years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.1_Jelly_Bean_(API_16)
Not only has Google ceased to support it a long time ago, independent developers stopped supporting apps for it too. Add in the issue that most online services that are needed to interact with (Google's Play Store being one of the them), it's not just software incompatibility but the hardware of that vintage cannot support modern technology either.
Use your device to do whatever it can but don't expect it to be fully functional. Adjust your own expectations accordingly and don't get your hopes up. It's not a matter of 'unlocking' the system, there are inherent and unavoidable limitations involved.

Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0
Android 4.1.1 is a very dated, unsupported version going back a good eight years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.1_Jelly_Bean_(API_16)
Not only has Google ceased to support it a long time ago, independent developers stopped supporting apps for it too. Add in the issue that most online services that are needed to interact with (Google's Play Store being one of the them), it's not just software incompatibility but the hardware of that vintage cannot support modern technology either.
Use your device to do whatever it can but don't expect it to be fully functional. Adjust your own expectations accordingly and don't get your hopes up. It's not a matter of 'unlocking' the system, there are inherent and unavoidable limitations involved.

Upvote 0
Most important to me is the "Waze" app. The built-in version is very old - 3.8.x.x. after typing an address, the app is stucking on "finding", so I thought an update might fix the problem.
According to this article, Waze can be downloaded to android version 4.1 and above without support.
Regarding Google Play; I saw on apk's sites (like this) that android version 4.1 is the minimum version for the latest Google Play version.

Upvote 0
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6071125?hl=en
OK but the article you posted states 4.1 isn't supported. So again, use your device but don't expect it to be fully functional. And be wary of what you do online, simply because you can access online services doesn't mean you'll be doing so safely. Today's Internet has devolved into a dangerous place so it's a risk to use a modern, fully patched device. Intentionally using an out-of-date one is even riskier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones