• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roaming - total nightmare!

antpal

Dec 26, 2010
Germany
Hi all,

Last weekend, I roamed from o2 uk to networks in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. What a complete nightmare it was too!!

I was being hounded by some kind of network message. I received the usual 'welcome to...' message as i crossed borders, just the once as i would expect. But, throughout the entire weekend I received a message from one of four numbers.

It wasn't even a message - every few minutes my phone would beep/vibrate, and on the home screen would be a dialogue box 'SMS message (next line) 335103673510 (next line) OK.
Press ok, the box disappears - no message in email or messages.
No '+' in front of the number either (which would have suggested it was coming from France).

This was made totally annoying by the fact that this message notification would appear at least (seriously!!!) once per minute. The first night roaming i had to spend about 20 minutes the following morning pressing ok. And in the end, i had to turn my phone off at nights.

This continued throughout my trip. Every 10 minutes or so i would unlock my phone, and clear about 20 of these messages - they really we're that frequent! Killed my battery, and caused me to have the phone on silent constantly to stop the beeping/vibrating!!

I tried all kinds of settings in the phone - cell broadcasts and stuff, but it didn't stop it!

Complete pain trying to show friends pictures, and having the phone switch back to its desktop every few seconds to display another of these notifications!

Called o2, and of course, they had no idea what i was talking about!!

Anyone else experience this?? Thanks guys!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones