• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Dirty Unicorns 5.1.1 {HAMMERHEAD} (4/26/15)

Which mobile technology does your carrier use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the new build won't use Franco and your settings will it? Either way, I'll probably flash the new build this weekend and probably check out Firefox os too just for fun.

Last weekend I used multirom and dual booted Ubuntu touch.

It won't use Franco natively, no. However, we're switching the built-in kernel controller to a more robust and stable one. That won't stop you from using the settings though.

In theory, you won't be required to use FKU since Kernel Tweaker is fully featured.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
New test build is up on G+. Includes a few new goodies. Kernel Tweaker IS one of those goodies. No need for Trickster or FKU anymore :)

The new kernel tweaker is very nice. Reset all the values in FKU and was able to get them all set in the new kernel tweaker in settings! Buttery smooth ROM as always! I'll keep FKU for easy downloading of kernel updates. ;)

Upvote 0
New test build is up on G+. Includes a few new goodies. Kernel Tweaker IS one of those goodies. No need for Trickster or FKU anymore :)

So sorry for this question but I looked and looked but can not find this test build :(

I am a member of the G+ community and did search.

I would like to start fresh and get the latest build to play around with..........sorry to be a newbie :(

Upvote 0
Reactions: lennydude and Hook
Upvote 0
So sorry for this question but I looked and looked but can not find this test build :(

I am a member of the G+ community and did search.

I would like to start fresh and get the latest build to play around with..........sorry to be a newbie :(

It will always be in the announcement section.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communi...5/stream/c8db20c4-f647-4069-9522-9a337d4b2ab4

Here is a link to the post (and each update will have the same format, so check the date in the file name to make sure it is an update).

https://plus.google.com/113599636728135137322/posts/BW85dnkToUd

EDIT: Brian beat me. ;)

Upvote 0
Wondering which version of GAPPS you guys like?

I have DU_TBO GAPPS and PA_GAPPS_Stock

or something else?

Thanks

Probably doesn't matter. I've been using the DU_TBO Gapps because it has the milti-dpi Play store integrated into it (The PA package may too, I'm not sure) and it has the inverted play store (Black background) which I prefer.

Upvote 0
Hey dudes, I have a question about the very cool 'Gesture anywhere' feature in the 'dirty tweaks' settings. I enjoy being able to use it to open an app or something but I'd really like to be able to gesture into extended desktop mode but I haven't been able to find that option. Can anyone advise whether it's possible and if so how? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Hey dudes, I have a question about the very cool 'Gesture anywhere' feature in the 'dirty tweaks' settings. I enjoy being able to use it to open an app or something but I'd really like to be able to gesture into extended desktop mode but I haven't been able to find that option. Can anyone advise whether it's possible and if so how? Thanks :)

I'm not sure off hand. I just flashed the update and I'm trying to get my kernel settings square. I'll play around once I finish that. :)

Edit:
Hey bud... I don't think it's possible. Since expanded desktop is only available via a quick toggle, and not an actual setting, there's not a way that I can see either.

A quick settings toggle just isn't an option to add a gesture for.

Upvote 0
Kernel tweaker is nice! My only suggestion, add confirmations. With no apply button/confirmation, I wasn't sure if my settings stuck.

Also, normally I have to select "apply on boot". Will these settings automatically apply on boot?

I assume since it's baked in, maybe apply on boot isn't necessary, since it's not just an app, but since that's what I'm familiar with, I just want to be sure...

Upvote 0
I have a few Google updates available on the play store and assume if I update them I will lose the inverted colors I prefer, correct?

I'm not sure that they'll even update.... I'm assuming you'll get an error but I'm not 100% sure on that. Back them up with titanium or make a nandroid. Then try an update and see what happens.

If you have undersired results, just restore.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure off hand. I just flashed the update and I'm trying to get my kernel settings square. I'll play around once I finish that. :)

Edit:
Hey bud... I don't think it's possible. Since expanded desktop is only available via a quick toggle, and not an actual setting, there's not a way that I can see either.

A quick settings toggle just isn't an option to add a gesture for.

Ah well. Maybe one day.

Upvote 0
Kernel tweaker is nice! My only suggestion, add confirmations. With no apply button/confirmation, I wasn't sure if my settings stuck.

Also, normally I have to select "apply on boot". Will these settings automatically apply on boot?

I assume since it's baked in, maybe apply on boot isn't necessary, since it's not just an app, but since that's what I'm familiar with, I just want to be sure...

There is a circle next to each setting option. Touch that and a check mark appears. I assume that is the "apply at boot" flag.

Upvote 0
I am on the new test build and am loving it. One issue that I have is the battery/clock & date feature.
I like to display both the battery icon and the percentage but when I choose this all I can get is the icon, no percentage? Circle with percentage works fine?

Try changing the percentage text color. If both the battery icon and text are white, you won't see text until you are low on battery. ;) Yes, circle works fine and is what I use. :)

EDIT: I just tried it and on mine, it switched text color to black when I choose icon with percentage and works fine, so I'm not sure here. All I can say is it works here.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that they'll even update.... I'm assuming you'll get an error but I'm not 100% sure on that. Back them up with titanium or make a nandroid. Then try an update and see what happens.

If you have undersired results, just restore.

So I tried this. First backed up the app (Hangout) then updated it via the Play Store and it did update and reverted back to the normal colors. Then when I tried to restore from Titanium Backup the colors stayed the same, they did not change back to the dark colors that it was backed up with.

I'm trying a couple other thing s before I restore yesterday's nandroid.

Upvote 0
There is a circle next to each setting option. Touch that and a check mark appears. I assume that is the "apply at boot" flag.

D'oh, not sure how I didn't realize that... Thanks!

So I tried this. First backed up the app (Hangout) then updated it via the Play Store and it did update and reverted back to the normal colors. Then when I tried to restore from Titanium Backup the colors stayed the same, they did not change back to the dark colors that it was backed up with.

I'm trying a couple other thing s before I restore yesterday's nandroid.

Interesting. I'm not sure why it wouldn't restore properly... Since it's a system app, did you restart the device after restoring?

Also, instead of restoring your nandroid, another option would be to reflash the inverted apps. In fact, if you only updated hangouts, you should be able to delete the other apps from the zip and just flash hangouts.

If you don't want to see updates for your inverted apps, I believe if you choose "detach from market" on the app in titanium, you won't see update notifications.

Upvote 0

Similar to FKU, you'll need to click the check boxes next to the category for them to apply on boot.

New test build on G+. However, I'm working on some behind the scenes tweaks to the stock kernel and bionic subdir, so if you feel like holding off - feel free.

Reactions: Hook and Brian706
Upvote 0
D'oh, not sure how I didn't realize that... Thanks!

Interesting. I'm not sure why it wouldn't restore properly... Since it's a system app, did you restart the device after restoring?

Also, instead of restoring your nandroid, another option would be to reflash the inverted apps. In fact, if you only updated hangouts, you should be able to delete the other apps from the zip and just flash hangouts.

If you don't want to see updates for your inverted apps, I believe if you choose "detach from market" on the app in titanium, you won't see update notifications.

I did try rebooting after restoring with no luck. I'll just detach them from the market. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Similar to FKU, you'll need to click the check boxes next to the category for them to apply on boot.

New test build on G+. However, I'm working on some behind the scenes tweaks to the stock kernel and bionic subdir, so if you feel like holding off - feel free.

Here's that build that I had mentioned previously with built-in speshul saucez.

du_hammerhead_20140311-1200.zip | ROM by NYCHitman1 for Nexus 5

So is the "special sauce" about the kernel itself. Shold I try it or stick with Franco, which I'm pretty happy with. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones