• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Opinions/Facts ??

xSithxSaviorx

Dec 28, 2010
Obviously there is no single best ROM, so why do people choose the rom they have, what is good about apex, fission, darkslide, gummyjar, rubix, ud? What are their downfalls? Which has best battery?most customizable?most stable/reliable?fastest? Anything unique? Which have blur and which do not? Which have access to the 3g hotspot? I would like to hear things like this about all these roms. Thanks in advance

i'm a bit of a novice...but i can speak about Rubix 1.9.5 in brief.
battery life seems good, but i've only had the rom for 15 hours.
the rom is fast and smooth in comparison to Stock.
no hiccups so far.
no blur on it to my knowledge.
3g hotspot works with it.
i have no particular reason why i installed it.
the maker of it and his minions are quick to respond with intelligent answers

Upvote 0
Obviously there is no single best ROM, so why do people choose the rom they have, what is good about apex, fission, darkslide, gummyjar, rubix, ud? What are their downfalls? Which has best battery?most customizable?most stable/reliable?fastest? Anything unique? Which have blur and which do not? Which have access to the 3g hotspot? I would like to hear things like this about all these roms. Thanks in advance

Actually, I test ROMs out in order to guide (my job) newbies to the most hassle free ROMs. The good news is that there are good offerings nowadays for us.

1) ApeX 1.3.1 (my personal favorite)
2) The latest Fission Rom and themes
3)The latest RubiX
4) Chevy Ssx 1.1
5) GummyJar (I hear good reports, but haven't had a chance to run it yet.)

The other ROMs, which shall remain nameless, either haven't been tested or tested utterly horrible and unreliable, so I can't recommend them. I recommend newbies stick with the above set. I'm trying to look out for you guys. :D

Reactions: benito65
Upvote 0
I'm curious what may have caused such horrible issues for you. Have you tried contacting the TBH guys?

Zumi- Good questions: Two things... Another staff member had the same problems I did. The second thing is that I didn't contact P3 because although I am a monetary of supporter of his, he mentioned he was very busy with school or something (on another site) and I didn't want to bother him.

There were so many others having problems with TranQ that I just guess I expected he would plug the bugs up when he was ready.

A lot of folks (and I) report forced reboots. P3 is one of the finest devs out there. TranQ will come around soon. :D

Upvote 0
Good Question:

Several reasons:

1) The Apex releases of DX roms have been the most stable.
2) I've never felt like a guinea pig testing a flawed beta in any one of its releases.
3) I like the ease of installation and how easy it is to configure it using the Terminal Emulator scripts.
4) I like the themes
5) I like the fact that the developer is here to answer questions and is available, approachable and knowledgeable.
6) I like the fact that it is smooth and I can overclock on it faster than other roms I've tested.
7) I do like a little bit of blur and this rom maintains the key elements of blur that I feel as if I need. (blur alarm, smart dialer, etc). I don't understand the craze to get rid of ALL of blur when some of it is good. (I'm a sense UI lover too, fwiw).

There are more reasons, but I'm at work and can't talk.

Upvote 0
What I really love about Fission is the FRM app that makes installing updates, themes, and extras incredibly easy. But I should mention that I haven't really played around with any other ROMs haha.

No, that's true. FRM is great and makes the Fission experience easy to use. It is one of my recommended Roms.

Upvote 0
Rubix 1.9.5 is one my recommended roms. It's creative and stable. I recommend it along with Fission and Chevy's Ssx 1.1

Once you decide (and there's nothing saying you can't try them all for yourself). If you flash ApeX or Ssx 1.1 just be aware that if you get an error message that offers you to either force close or to wait, select "wait" then press the power button and reboot.

You may be kicked into ClockworkMod Recovery. Simply select reboot and your golden. You'll be fine either way. It's a glitch with the recovery app. No biggie.

Upvote 0
I love FRM and the ability to have everything in one place. Fission has not failed me yet as apex has actually killed the phone function (could place calls and the recipient could hear me but I couldn't hear anything). I love the theme choice of fission and the forgiveness of it (running themes for a different version). It contains no blur which is great IMO. Battery life is about the same if not a little better than stock and it seems to be very responsive with no FCs where there shouldn't be and no lag.

Upvote 0
I personally ran Tranquility for a couple weeks with no issues. I liked all aspects of it. Especially the tranquil toolbox. You can change everything from within it. Add/remove some blur,change prepossessing themes, boot animations etc..

Out of the blue I tried gummyjar.. Very different, also very fast, stable, like it as is w no theme, and todays update gave it some extras from cvps.. Very nice..

Upvote 0
Ive tried ApeX, TranQ, FlyX, GummyJAR, and SSX.

my top favorite are Apex and TranQ, but im planning on staying on Apex.
TranQ runs much smoother, and has no blur at all, but it seems to me like there is too much removed. Furthermore, it seems like TranQ has a bit too much of "itself" in the rom. by this i mean how it boots up to Tranquility (yeah, you can remove it), and the notification bar says TranQ, etc. ApeX, though, is sweet looking and has all the features you need. right now, im staying on ApeX. im gonna try Fission now, since every seems to love it. ill get back to you after i try it out

Upvote 0
Good Question:

Several reasons:

1) The Apex releases of DX roms have been the most stable.
2) I've never felt like a guinea pig testing a flawed beta in any one of its releases.
3) I like the ease of installation and how easy it is to configure it using the Terminal Emulator scripts.
4) I like the themes
5) I like the fact that the developer is here to answer questions and is available, approachable and knowledgeable.
6) I like the fact that it is smooth and I can overclock on it faster than other roms I've tested.
7) I do like a little bit of blur and this rom maintains the key elements of blur that I feel as if I need. (blur alarm, smart dialer, etc). I don't understand the craze to get rid of ALL of blur when some of it is good. (I'm a sense UI lover too, fwiw).

There are more reasons, but I'm at work and can't talk.

I quite agree with this. I've tried pretty much every rom for my DX, and alot have been a love hate relationship. most have a mix of great and not so great features. ie speed but no stability or stability but less speed. Apex is a great balance of both. Features are rich, stable as hell, and runs like a champ(im oc'd to 1.2Ghz and it flyyyyyys). Im stickin with apex for now cuz i feel like its the best!

Upvote 0
I quite agree with this. I've tried pretty much every rom for my DX, and alot have been a love hate relationship. most have a mix of great and not so great features. ie speed but no stability or stability but less speed. Apex is a great balance of both. Features are rich, stable as hell, and runs like a champ(im oc'd to 1.2Ghz and it flyyyyyys). Im stickin with apex for now cuz i feel like its the best!

I oc to 1.35 ghz at medium voltage well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones