• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM questions

Well PDANet seems to work real well. That's cool. Maybe someday the open source version will support USB. I also noticed that within the open source version which comes in the DroidMod1.0 ROM, it is 3 versions out of date. I didn't notice anything in the newer versions that I care about currently though.

Does anyone know off hand if the DroidMod1.0 blocks OTA? I'm almost to that point in my own personal check list.

Upvote 0
The SPrecovery console blocks automatic installs of update.zip files. It is a two-step process that you have to confirm to install them. So while your phone my download the 2.1 OTA update, once it reboots you'd have to manually install it.

I've had decent luck with the WiFi tether. It sometimes takes a try or two to get the PC connected, but once it's done it connects at Wireless G speeds(54Mbps). I have run download speed tests while connected and I usually get 1mbps download speeds.. decent. The range is decent also. I've had my laptop 50 feet away from my Droid with no problems. I would imagine it goes further. Not sure of battery life while tethering for long periods of time, but I've not seen a problem and you could always hook up the USB to charge with while WiFi tethering.

Just take your time, be patient, and once you see what the Droid can REALLY do I am sure you'll be happy:cool:

Upvote 0
Sweet. I'm done for now then. I've got SetCPU setup and profiles configured. I'm using onDemand and the overall range I've set is 250MHz - 1Ghz. I'll see how that fares in the next few days / couple weeks, and go from there as needed.

Tomorrow I'll see how my battery life does while the phone is mostly on standby all day.

Oh, I ran a speed test myself but after the DroidMod. This is USB tether with PDANet

speed test
6:19pm EST 2/25/10
Arlington, VA 22204
2.07Mbps down
0.69Mbps up
Speakeasy's Washington DC test
Test ran once.

Certainly not an exhaustive test by any stretch of the imagination. I was just curious, so I ran a quickie.

While I was downloading stuff via DMUpdate, I was seeing ~200-220KBps downloads.

Considering that's what I used to get with SBC DSL, that's fine with me for a phone.

I haven't done any real testing, and I may never, but so far surfing from the phone does seem faster with the CPU clocked at 1GHz. I guess that makes sense - but I always heard how WinBLOWS and Linux rules the universe, so WTH.. isn't 550MHz enough?! =D lol Anyway..

Thanks for the help all..

The quick and dirty summary from my short lived experience thus far is that DMUpdate does work and does make things easier, but there are still a number of choices to make. More than a few.

For anyone that isn't technical at all it's not suggested to do any of this, which I'm sure is said in many places. For example if I were a regular end user the whole car navigation / google maps not working on my phone right off the bat might have freaked me out. I'll admit, I wasn't exactly excited about it, but I pretty quickly figured car navigation crashing was probably connected to google maps and I got that worked out. Google maps wasn't downloading/installing after it was removed, so I just cancelled the download and then reinitiated that download. I rebooted the phone afterwards just for the heck of it - hey, I'm used to Windows - and now the car navigation, google maps, and even google sky maps seems to be working just fine AFAIK. Haven't tried Google Earth yet.

The funny thing is I won't ever know from first hand experience how the official software runs / works; I just wanted to play with it a little to get some idea, and then hack the phone before it wasn't an option anymore. Two reasons for that, not the least of which being my hope to get USB tethering (for free!), but I failed to mention that part and didn't research that detail thoroughly enough on my own (detail number 8,196,498 over the last couple weeks.. I was looking into what OS, what phone, what network, to get.. good times).

Honestly.. I usually get a bit fed-up when I do this stuff. Doesn't matter if I'm building a new PC from the ground up, selecting a new HDTV, projector, RAID array, or whatever. Thing of it is, I want what I want, so I want to try my best to make sure the limited $$ I have gets me what I want, or I save what $$ I have. I'm anal. After hour #50 it starts to get annoying as hell. I'm exagerating to illustrate a point if anyone isn't getting that, but it isn't exagerated by much.

Again, thanks for the input and assistance. Now to continue on with this journey.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones