• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Sprint Stock B14 ICS 4.0.4

I'v been reading about android kitchen, and exploring, and trying to work with stock b_18 backup.. am having updater-script issues. Your b_14 is good but always wants to update and i know not to.. I now have even more respect for what you guys do.. Also, big thanks for the nandroid manager app - its great

If you upload a b18 backup i will make you a new stock rom :) Didn't know you had an update since i don't own this device.

I need the following 2 files from the cwm backup of an updated Sprint ZTE Flash:

system.ext4.tar.a
boot.img

edit: if you are referring to the iWireless b18, that is not an update, just a different version system for a different carrier.

Upvote 0
Thanks for uploading the OTA. You got partitions updated too, not just system files. Which means for now, everyone will need to do the OTA, and then flash these B18 roms. If you have already updated to B18, the deodexed B18 rom will work fine. I am going to post a partition updater to avoid everyone having to do the OTA before flashing B18 roms.

Upvote 0
Sweet Success! Many more thanks!!
Now to dabble.. What can i mess with and not break my phone- rhetorical..
Nice, glad it works :) You can make a cwm backup, and start messing with anything you want. If you break it, restore your backup. Breaking things is the best way to learn lol.
a real question: How much ?schooling? to get to where you are, or learned by messing with stuff?

No schooling, just fooling. Couldn't resist ;) If you are interested in making roms, there are many posts about it on the web. Honestly trial and error are your friends. You have to be willing to brick your device until you figure out what you are doing. Flash the wrong thing to the wrong place and your device is toast.

Upvote 0
DISCLAIMER: By using this rom, you agree that you are the only one responsible for anything good or bad that may occur. I do not own this device so this ROM is UNTESTED. Use at your own risk.;)

For Sprint ZTE Flash only.

This is Stock B14 ICS 4.0.4 debloated and deodexed with root.

gordon_sp_stock_B14_deodexed_root_2.zip

NOTE: This zip is unsigned so you will need to disable signature verification in cwm before flashing.

NOTE2: Your device must have CWM to flash ROMs.

Flash this in CWM as follows:
  1. Download ROM
  2. Put the ROM.zip on your sdcard if not already
  3. Reboot to CWM Recovery
  4. MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Wipe data/Factoy reset
  6. Install ROM.zip from sdcard
  7. Reboot
  8. Enjoy!
List of removed files:
/system/lib/libchromeview.so
/system/app/BooksTablet.apk
/system/app/Chrome.apk
/system/app/Magazines.apk
/system/app/Music2.apk
/system/app/PlusOne.apk
/system/app/Sprint_CO.apk
/system/app/SprintID.apk
/system/app/Sprint_Installer.apk
/system/app/SprintZone.apk
/system/app/Swype.apk
/system/app/TouchPal.apk
/system/app/TwonkyMobile-release_ZTE.apk
/system/app/YouTube.apk
Other Downloads:

NOT_FLASHABLE_B14_deodexed_removed_files.zip

Thanks to:
stevestone - Uploaded all necessary files

Just got the "sprint ZTE Flash" today for free.
took for ever for root to happen, even longer to get CWM.

Flashed SuperR's share, it took and worked fine, added a few apps, then added Nova, still working fine.

Thanks "SuperR" for the custom "mod" :D

Upvote 0
I don't have cwm and so my zte says e: signature verification failed. Can u help me ? (I did a hard reset and now can't get past the Droid screen . My phone is rooted . At least it was before it got stuck...

Well, you will need cwm. Can you get root access using adb in ftm mode? If so, you can flash cwm and fix everything from there.

To get to ftm mode, use the vol + power combo that you don't use to get to recovery. In other words, if you press vol down + power to get into recovery, press vol up + power to get to ftm. Once in ftm, try following the instructions from the thread below

http://androidforums.com/flash-all-things-root/790943-cwm-beta.html

If you get cwm on your device, flash the rom in the 1st post (OP) of this thread and you should be all set.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for ur reply ! So I already tried this file u have over here but my phone said . Signature verification failed ! (I rooted my phone but after we I restarted it it got stuck at the sprint screen , so I did a wipe of the data/carrier data and now it just says android

follow the instructions in my post above from ftm and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is the b14 to b18 partition updater. I can't test it because I don't have this device, but it should work. If you are currently running b14, flash this zip, then the b18 rom.

gordon_sp_B14_to_B18_partitions.zip

I originally flashed the b14 you have in the opening post but ever since then, my phone would try to update, but it failed.
Got sick of seeing that so I factory reset then tried the partition flash from this post but I got the error 7 code, saying something about "get name not found inspiration model" or something like
So I reflashed with the opening post mod, then tried the partition to b18 mod, same error.
So I took a chance and tried the b18 bloatware removed mod, it took and in the about phone, it says its now the B18 version and so far has not said anything about updates.

seems to run way better now, I dont have a service plan, I just use it for wifi usage and voip, and such.

Thanks for the mods, looking forward to future mods as well, willing to test if someone needs it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones