• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help root android permissions and access

TheOuz

Lurker
May 28, 2020
Can anyone advise where to start?

I'm looking for advice on how you go about getting root control over a phone remotely with full co operation of the user.

I have looked into using GHOST on kali linux to establish a shell connection to an android device by using an APK exploiting the android debug bridge.

How would I from here elevate permissions further? I also would want this process, beyond the user agreeing and giving any permissions necessary to be as invisible as possible and not change anything on the users phone. e.g if someone got there phone and tried to look for this application it would be invisible.

Any one have any experience and could help? or could point me in the right direction??

Obviously if there were a way of doing this there would be a risk in explaining it: we only have your word as to your bona fides, and even if we could be sure of them any information posted here is accessible to anyone else who comes across it, who may have malicious intent. Therefore the less user interaction is needed the less willing I'd be to answer the question.

However, the problem doesn't arise because there is no universal way of rooting an android phone. Actually whether a phone can be rooted at all depends on what phone it is, sometimes what software version or what carrier (if any) it was sold through. And if it is possible the method and tools needed will depend on what model it is. And in most if not all cases it will require the user to interact with the phone in order to do it. Best case that might be limited to their connecting it, enabling ADB and giving you control of their computer (to download software, boot the phone into different modes, flash modified images), but even then I think there will be parts of the process where the user has to do things on the phone (e.g. using a custom recovery to flash a patch). But we'll need to know more about the phone in any event, and I must warn you that there are a number of handsets out there for which there is no way of rooting even if you have the phone in your hands.

Upvote 0
i'm ok discussing how to root a device....but to root remotely and be invisible on the phone seems kind of shady. i know you said with "full cooperation from the user", but how do we truly know this?

like @Hadron suggested, rooting will be dependent on the phone and carrier. you will need a pc and software. not really sure how you will establish a wireless connection.

Upvote 0
Obviously if there were a way of doing this there would be a risk in explaining it: we only have your word as to your bona fides, and even if we could be sure of them any information posted here is accessible to anyone else who comes across it, who may have malicious intent. Therefore the less user interaction is needed the less willing I'd be to answer the question.

However, the problem doesn't arise because there is no universal way of rooting an android phone. Actually whether a phone can be rooted at all depends on what phone it is, sometimes what software version or what carrier (if any) it was sold through. And if it is possible the method and tools needed will depend on what model it is. And in most if not all cases it will require the user to interact with the phone in order to do it. Best case that might be limited to their connecting it, enabling ADB and giving you control of their computer (to download software, boot the phone into different modes, flash modified images), but even then I think there will be parts of the process where the user has to do things on the phone (e.g. using a custom recovery to flash a patch). But we'll need to know more about the phone in any event, and I must warn you that there are a number of handsets out there for which there is no way of rooting even if you have the phone in your hands.

Thank you for the response

I completely understand the risk of explanation. And how if this was easy people could maliciously attack peoples phones. Thank you also for the explanation on the difficulty of each android phone being individual making it difficult to give a hard and fast path to rooting a phone.

I am interested in this because, I'm looking at the feasibility to adding a hook to the native phone app to link to a hidden application (like dialing *#*#4636#*#* shows you information about the phone and battery etc etc).

The purpose of this application would be to connect victims of domestic violence to relevant agencies such as refuge and other local agencies who can offer help and advice. One of the main reasons victims of domestic violence don't come forward is that they fear retribution from their abuser. This solution would ideally offer a way to connect victims without their abusers finding out. I began researching how to do this but soon ran into the issue that I would require root access to the phone. I'm going to continue to research into all of this. If either of you could point me in any good directions it would be most appreciated.

I am in connection with a couple organisations who have large funds and are willing to spend money on a solution like this.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
OK, if you are not targetting a particular device then I think the answer will be that there is no way of doing this across the board.

Personally I'd be inclined to look for a solution based on a disguised or hidden app that doesn't require root to implement it. That could even be an alternative dialer app, though that might be a bit visible to a controlling partner (i.e. they'd notice that the dialer had changed).

Remember also that rooting a phone can have other consequences, such as some apps or services no longer working, including financial apps (which, if the abusive partner doesn't deny access to them, you probably don't want to cut the victim off from). This is another reason I'd look for a non-root solution.

Upvote 0
This solution would ideally offer a way to connect victims without their abusers finding out.
There are already apps that do this, via a 'disguising' method as @Hadron mentioned. And that's the route I would take if I were you.

One app I've heard of, but can't think of its name, is touted by Dr Phil's wife [Dr Phil is a US TV psychologist]; you can probably find a link to it on DrPhil.com.

Designing a standard Android app, without any unusual/difficult requirements that would vary from device to device, and carrying the potential risk of borking some, just makes better sense to me.

Create the app to look and act as something else--a game, a calculator, a journal, a news portal, a media player, etc.--that contains a secret method of accessing help. The user wouldn't have to worry about hiding it--s/he could leave it in plain sight, and if their abuser saw it, even opened it, nothing suspicious would happen.

Upvote 0
I am in connection with a couple organisations who have large funds and are willing to spend money on a solution like this.

Being able to connect to anyone's smartphone remotely, whether you have permission or not, is a really sticky issue. Your intentions may be for good reasons but the problem with any backdoor access solution is not everyone has the same common good reasons. It's not just corporations addicted to data mining or black-hat hackers but a lot of politicians and law enforcement think they should have unfettered, open access to people's smartphones too. You want to help people, they want to either exploit them, and/or gain control over them.Currently several governments across the planet are trying to force smartphone manufacturers and carriers to implement back doors and weaken encryption schemes so it will make it easier for them to have access to the public's private info on their phones.
The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) has a lot info on this topic:
https://www.eff.org/issues/privacy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones