• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root for unlocked Pixel 2xl

D

Deleted User

OK, i've had this puppy for a while, and i've decided to root it. Problem is that i've read so many different ways to get root that i'm totally confused. My pixel 2xl is the Google model, and already comes with an unlocked bootloader. Although it shouldn't be, that is part of the problem. Also, when i try and install the factory image, it won't load. I know that i have to have that image on the phone or it will brick. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:p

Just to clarify a few things:

1.) Your bootloader is unlockable, it doesn't actually come unlocked. That's a process you need to do yourself, which also factory resets the device. So make sure you back up anything important before doing so. Unlocking the bootloader is always the first thing I do when I get a new device.

2.) You shouldn't need to flash a factory image to root. You are already on a factory image. I believe what you are referencing is that when people want to update their rooted phone, they have to do it manually. If you have a custom recovery permanently installed, you will have to download a full factory image and extract the boot.img from it. Then reflash your boot partition (both) with the stock boot.img.

Then you can download the ota image and update through adb. Then you must reroot the phone.

Upvote 0
How to root it?

First thing you need to do is unlock your bootloader.

You will need this on your PC: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

Full instructions for unlocking the bootloader, directly from the android site: https://developers.google.com/android/images

Step 2 would be to grab the latest TWRP image:
https://dl.twrp.me/taimen/
I believe you'd want: twrp-3.2.3-1-taimen.img

And for a permanent install you'd need to also download the corresponding zip. Personally, especially with your current knowledge of the process I would skip the permanent install for now.

Next you need to also grab the latest stable version of magisk from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

Place the zip on your phone's internal storage.

Next boot into your bootloader either manually or using adb command: adb reboot bootloader

Once you're there, use fastboot to boot the TWRP image: fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-taimen.img

That should load you directly into TWRP. From there install file, and use the magisk.zip you placed on your phone.

Reboot the device and you should be rooted.

Hopefully you understand how to use adb and fastboot, if not I won't be available for most of the day to answer questions but I'll check in later when I can and see how you're doing.

Upvote 0
Can't get root, no matter what i try. Only thing left is to lock the bootloader, and try it that way.:mad:o_O
Are you sure your bootloader is unlocked? You mentioned it in your first post but I think you're confusing carrier unlocked with unlocked bootloader. And while the pixel does allow you to unlock the bootloader, it does not come that way.

You would have to do all these things:

Unlock the hidden "developer options" on your device by going to settings>about and tapping on build number 7 times.

Go into the newly available developer options and enable OEM unlocking.

Put the adb and fastboot utilities on your PC: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

Connect phone to PC, use command adb reboot bootloader to get to fastboot mode.

Once there use fastboot command fastboot flashing unlock and then confirm that you'd like to unlock the bootloader. Wait for the factory reset to complete and then your bootloader will be unlocked.

Honestly it doesn't seem like you've done much research yet on rooting. I really wouldn't encourage you to root until you know what you're doing. It's your choice but if you don't even know how to unlock the bootloader, how will you be able to fix something if things go wrong?

And as codesplice said, please give us more information. I'm giving you detailed responses and you're giving me nothing back to show me what you've done or where you're stuck. Help me help you. Please give me some effort in return!! :)

Upvote 0
I know how to unlock the bootloader, and i've done all the commands on my terminal. Unlock code is fastboot flashing unlock_critical. The bootloader is unlocked. It's the steps after that, that are giving me trouble. I can't flash factory img., of any of the other commands needed. This is why i wanted your advice as to relocking the bootloader, letting it wipe the phone(i have a backup), and then starting all over again. In the past, i've rooted my Nexus 6 with no problem.:thinking:

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
I'm not sure why you think you need to flash a factory image? Personally I think it's easier to adb sideload the ota images. But if you've not rooted or modified the phone yet, I don't understand why you need a factory image?

Just fastboot boot the TWRP image and then use TWRP to flash magisk. You shouldn't have to lose any data if your bootloader is already unlocked. You should be able to just root in your current state and not lose anything.

Upvote 0
Can you boot the TWRP image?

And what do you mean when you say that commands aren't working? Is the terminal providing any kind of error message?

This should be a pretty simple job. All you need is TWRP and magisk and it's done.

My pixel 2 xl is rooted, my pixel 1 xl was rooted, all my Nexus devices before that were rooted. It's pretty much the exact same process as they have always had. The main difference is that you can't directly flash the twrp image to the device. You need to boot it. And then you flash magisk which roots the device. Magisk has effectively replaced superSU.

Upvote 0
I want to apologize for my outburst on Monday. It was uncalled for, and i'm sincerely sorry. You guys are only trying to help me, and i should have realized that. Having PTSD is no fun, and i hadn't taken my meds as i was trying to root this phone. I offer no excuses for how i acted, but i assure you that it won't happen again. Semper Fi to all my brothers.:)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Bootloader is unlocked, and the phone is in use. If i type in the command to unlock it, it just says the bootloader is already unlocked. In my former state, i deleted everything that i need to try again. So please give me some time to set everything up again. I did read somewhere that there was a problem with Magisk and Pie 9.0, which is what i'm running. I will be able to show you screenshots, as needed. Talk to you soon. Thanks, again.:)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones