• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root now, or root later?

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
So, somehow, I managed to pick up one of these phones.

I definitely want to be able to run a Marshmallow based ROM on it, because it is supposed to enable full Band 12 for T-Mobile.

That said, it came out of the box with 5.1.1 already. So, naturally I want to root. But I currently don't know whether I should root now while it's still on Kit Kat, or update and root later? Which would be better to do at this point?

At present, there are many reasons I need to root. Not least of which system level ad blocking and closed framework require it.

Further, already have a problem where it refuses to charge from a Qualcomm fast charge certified external battery. And the common factor found from my research is that this only happens with non rooted mxp phones. It doesn't occur on a rooted unit.

I just picked it up today. Saw it was on 5.1.1.

So rooting needs to happen. I just need to know if it is easier to root first and then flash marshmallow or update to marshmallow and then root. And how to root this phone. Make sense now?

Upvote 0
I was already on 6.0 when I rooted. I used the guide at XDA and installed TWRP 3.0 then flashed the SuperSu zip. I tried systemless root and kept TWRP read only but had problems restoring back ups when trying new ROM. Finally went with traditional root with new ROM.
I think the idea behind systemless is that it will not effect OTA's but I plan on staying on custom.

Upvote 0
Not sure on the OTA. The ROM TrueXPure started out as 5.1 then he updated to 6.0. Thread for ROM is over 500 pages so far and since I came to it late I skimmed through most of it up to 400 then read all from there. Features already in ROM that I wanted, ad blocker and hotspot. Reading more on Xposed for shutdown options in Gravity box and other tweaks but haven't installed framework yet.

Upvote 0
I went with 3.0.0-0. Can see and select zip in mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-03-15-22-56.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-03-15-22-56.png
    377.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Well, for what it's worth, I decided to go with the SuperSU install that was part of TWRP. That then had me download the app part of it from the Play Store, and now I do appear to have successful root. :D Now I jsut need to know how to pass it Xposed Framework and then I should be good to go, I would think. Well, I would prefer having this on Marshmallow to enable Band 12 LTE, but I'd like to have this one tuned up for a pretty well set up backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones