• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root (temp)

I got mine through Vodafone-I called them and told them I wanted an unlock code and they said fine..I should be receiving it within the next few days. This will allow me to receive updates directly from HTC

We're talking about rooting, which is not the same as unlocking. Rooting = gaining full control over the phone to modify it as you wish. Unlocking = Lets the phone work with any network, not just one one you bought it on.

Also, if the HD is anything like he HTC Hero, unlocking has nothing to do with which updates you receive. If your phone is branded (and I don't know if they are) then I think you'll still have to wait for vodafone's updates.

I know this might be pressing, but is there are thread on here already that gives a step by step to root the DHD? is rooted the same as unlocked?

Nope, they are different, as I mentioned above.

Upvote 0
I got mine through Vodafone-I called them and told them I wanted an unlock code and they said fine..I should be receiving it within the next few days. This will allow me to receive updates directly from HTC

No chance. You're stuck with Vodafone firmware until you change it. No code on Earth will remove the Vodafone firmware.

When your phone tries to update it sends information stating it's firmware version to the update server. That in return replies to say if there's an update available for it.

My DHD is unbranded so as soon as there's an update out the details sent will tell the server I can have a straight forward update. In return it will send it to me. If you try it with a Vodafone branded DHD it will just say there's no update available.

This is one of the reasons as to why branded handsets are best avoided.

Upvote 0
Hi there guys,
I'm a total Android newb and want to ask a question prior to purchasing a new handset - I'm currently debating whether to get a Desire or a Desire HD.
I've had an N95 for nearly 3 years now, I changed the product code and debranded it, so that I could get updates as soon as they were available from Nokia rather than waiting for Voda to ruin then release them.

I would like to do a similar thing with my new handset. I have a friend who has the Desire and is really happy and has successfully debranded. I was leaning towards the HD until I read up on the rooting / debranding situation.

I know that it's relatively early days in the Desire HD's life, but from what I've read this is currently not possible to do? I understand that a temporary root is possible which will allow 'superuser' access to advanced features of the phone, but not debranding.

Can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct? (or hopefully prove me wrong)

Many thanks,

Grim.

Upvote 0
Hi there guys,
I'm a total Android newb and want to ask a question prior to purchasing a new handset - I'm currently debating whether to get a Desire or a Desire HD.
I've had an N95 for nearly 3 years now, I changed the product code and debranded it, so that I could get updates as soon as they were available from Nokia rather than waiting for Voda to ruin then release them.

I would like to do a similar thing with my new handset. I have a friend who has the Desire and is really happy and has successfully debranded. I was leaning towards the HD until I read up on the rooting / debranding situation.

I know that it's relatively early days in the Desire HD's life, but from what I've read this is currently not possible to do? I understand that a temporary root is possible which will allow 'superuser' access to advanced features of the phone, but not debranding.

Can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct? (or hopefully prove me wrong)

Many thanks,

Grim.

Too many questions, so I will just answer what I know as an Android noob 6 months ago.

You can't compare Nokia SYM to Android or Apple OS in 1 sentence.

Just get a HD, with 2.2 for now.

It might not win the race of Android power in 2 months, so get a 12 mth contract and upgrade in 6.

I did all the Nokia stuff, debranded etc, many years ago. I have had a few iPhones also. None of us can keep up with tech. 4.3" on a phone is my limit, after that I want pop-out eyeglasses and headphones from my skull. Or a gay friend with a ManBag to carry it !!!

enter stage left..."Tony, your phone is ringing in my ManBag, tell that girl with big boobs that you are talking too that I am just you Uncle".

WTF am I on about !

Just get one.

Should be the new slogan after the 'Android Forums' avatar.

Peace out.

Fitzy

Upvote 0
Does not work after update to 1.32.405.6

Yes it does!

I just upgraded my DHD to 1.32.405.6 and left the Visonary on boot up mode. I forgot to disable it before upgrading and then panicked thinking I was about to get a bricked handset, but thankfully it appears not.

The handset rebooted, I got the message stating it had been updated and Flash 10.1's latest upgrade automatically downloaded (which gives it the new requirements to be ready for future upgrades, possibly Gingerbread). I then noticed that Amazon MP3 store had come back, so I loaded Titanium backup and it told me it had Super user permissions. It then let me uninstall Amazon MP3 Store, which is a root app and something you need SU permissions for.

So yes, it does work after the upgrade! :D

Upvote 0
Does not work after update to 1.32.405.6
it does not work?
smile.gif

Upvote 0
Ok now it does for some reason it didnt all i had was a flashing screen when i tried rooting after ota but now its fine. I saw something on xda the other day that said visionary was becoming perm today but now i cant find visionary in the market so i was thinking it will be back on later with a perm root for us ? Has anybody else heard this ?

Upvote 0
Ok now it does for some reason it didnt all i had was a flashing screen when i tried rooting after ota but now its fine. I saw something on xda the other day that said visionary was becoming perm today but now i cant find visionary in the market so i was thinking it will be back on later with a perm root for us ? Has anybody else heard this ?

its been pulled from the market by google.

You can get it here from Paul's site

10/Nov r11: VISIONary + one click root - Android @ MoDaCo

But as far as i can tell, it doesnt perm root yet. i think he'll have it ready by later today/tomorrow. If i were you i would just wait for paul's mothed. Much simpler.

Upvote 0
Stupid question maybe but I installed "VISIONary R11", clicked "Root Now" and it worked. I was even able to install "AdFree" and disable all ads. I didn't enable "Root on Boot", though. I restarted my phone and uninstalled "VISIONary R11", "Superuser" and "AdFree". Technically speaking, since the app is no longer installed and "Root on Boot" was never even enabled, is my phone still rooted?
From what I gather, this app does "temp root" only, which is perfect in my opinion as you should always be able to just uninstall root apps and get warranty support. Am I correct?
Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones