• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root vs Stock performance

markc2

Feb 22, 2010
Perrysburg, Oh.
OK, on my girlfriends Nook Color (blue dot), we tried running CM7 off an 8g class 4 SD card. Then went back to stock. Stock had much better performance, speed, clicking internet links even seemed faster, and MUCH better battery life.

If we root and install CM7 on the device instead of running off the SD card, does performance improve and does battery life improve? Thanks.
-Mark

CM7 has better sleep battery life with newer kernels that are just now included with the latest nightly builds. Otherwise you had to manually install Dalingrin's kernel to a version with the 2.6.32 kernel (see settings... about tablet for your kernel version). You'd have to have a version of CM7 much newer than 7.03 stable.

Depending on the card, roms installed on the Nook (EMMC) are the same speed or faster, but easier to install, update or repair. Personally, I've had no need or desire to run a rom off an sdcard. They seem to fragile to me.

Upvote 0
OK, on my girlfriends Nook Color (blue dot), we tried running CM7 off an 8g class 4 SD card. Then went back to stock. Stock had much better performance, speed, clicking internet links even seemed faster, and MUCH better battery life.

If we root and install CM7 on the device instead of running off the SD card, does performance improve and does battery life improve? Thanks.
-Mark

EEMC is almost always faster.

Reactions: markc2
Upvote 0
I demo stock nooks in our store. I can say that my nook with eMMC-installed CM7 is much quicker all around than a bone stock nook.

Dalingrin, one of the premier devs for Nook CM7, has admitted a few faults with Nook's interface, so occasionally scrolling certain menus can *look* laggy, but it's just a perceived effect and has no bearing on system performance.

Upvote 0
I demo stock nooks in our store. I can say that my nook with eMMC-installed CM7 is much quicker all around than a bone stock nook.

Dalingrin, one of the premier devs for Nook CM7, has admitted a few faults with Nook's interface, so occasionally scrolling certain menus can *look* laggy, but it's just a perceived effect and has no bearing on system performance.

This is what I wanted to hear, thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones