• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted ... now what?

beardad

Aug 26, 2012
So here's the deal: I rooted my Eris and flashed xtrSENSE to it, and for the most part life has been fine. The battery life still sucks, but I can deal with that; I have a charger at home, at work, AND in my truck!

So here's my problem: I've got a message that says I am low on space, even though I have barely a dozen apps on it. This seems to be common with Eris, but I cannot find where anyone has any real solutions. I'd like to store the apps on the 32G SD card and am looking at using a2sd for that purpose. In the meantime, my phone is choking.

One thing I did was switch to K-9 Mail, but even though I have deleted EVERYthing from the default mail, including the accounts, and I removed the default mail from the startup apps via ES Task Manager, it still sits at the top of my memory usage list at 50+ megs. I considered deleting the default mail apk with ES File Explorer, but I read somewhere that doing so would have undesirable results.

So question 1: how do I get rid of the default mail data?
Q2: is a2sd the only way to store the aps on the sd card?
Q3: is there a way to get other stuff to store to the sd card? My wife's blackberry will do it, why won't Android? (sorry, 2 Q's in one)
Q4: ES Task Mgr says I have 65 mb of ram, while settings -> phone storage says I have 12 mb. Who's right and who's lying?

So here's the deal: I rooted my Eris and flashed xtrSENSE to it, and for the most part life has been fine. The battery life still sucks, but I can deal with that; I have a charger at home, at work, AND in my truck!

So here's my problem: I've got a message that says I am low on space, even though I have barely a dozen apps on it. This seems to be common with Eris, but I cannot find where anyone has any real solutions. I'd like to store the apps on the 32G SD card and am looking at using a2sd for that purpose. In the meantime, my phone is choking.

One thing I did was switch to K-9 Mail, but even though I have deleted EVERYthing from the default mail, including the accounts, and I removed the default mail from the startup apps via ES Task Manager, it still sits at the top of my memory usage list at 50+ megs. I considered deleting the default mail apk with ES File Explorer, but I read somewhere that doing so would have undesirable results.

So question 1: how do I get rid of the default mail data?
Q2: is a2sd the only way to store the aps on the sd card?
Q3: is there a way to get other stuff to store to the sd card? My wife's blackberry will do it, why won't Android? (sorry, 2 Q's in one)
Q4: ES Task Mgr says I have 65 mb of ram, while settings -> phone storage says I have 12 mb. Who's right and who's lying?

1. Sorry to say, as far as I know, the only way is to factory reset and restart without using that terrible default HTC mail app.

2. If you read the xtrSENSE post on xda-developers.com, the first post lists all the steps necessary to enable apps2sd. Get rid of that 50 MB mail app drain and perhaps you won't need it though ...

3. With Android 2.1, no. Google did not design a method for apps on sd until 2.2(froyo) and even that is kludgy. I think that no sd card and a flat memory model would be best, and is, I believe, the storage model for the galaxy nexus and nexus 7 tablet.

4. Both are probably right. RAM is address space for apps to run, like RAM on our computer. Storage is like your hard disk drive, or a USB thumbdrive.

Upvote 0
First of all, thanks for the response. I know I threw a lot of questions into a single post. And I know it didn't quite match my subject, but I keep reading everywhere "you can't do that unless you are rooted"; well, I AM rooted and I still can't figure out how to do things. :(

1. Sorry to say, as far as I know, the only way is to factory reset and restart without using that terrible default HTC mail app. I took a chance this evening and deleted the HTC mail apk. Of course, that doesn't take the data with it, but I also deleted the /data/data/com.htc.android.mail folder and gained my 50 mb back. We'll see if anything goes sour; just in case I did a backup from recovery first.

2. If you read the xtrSENSE post on xda-developers.com, the first post lists all the steps necessary to enable apps2sd. Thanks for that tip; I'll look for that thread. Get rid of that 50 MB mail app drain and perhaps you won't need it though ... Maybe not, but it will still be nice to make real use of my 32 gb sd card

3. With Android 2.1, no. Google did not design a method for apps on sd until 2.2(froyo) and even that is kludgy. I think that no sd card and a flat memory model would be best, and is, I believe, the storage model for the galaxy nexus and nexus 7 tablet. The kindle fire "sort-of" did that, in a "faking it" sort of way. There is no SD card, but the internal memory is partitioned and the part available for storage is treated like an SD card. In fact, it is even seen by apps as an SD card. Of course, the OS is still Android 1.5 (I think), and all the apps are still installed to the "non sdcard" partition. I have rooted my KF and am so tempted to put a Jellybean ROM on there, but I'm not ready to part with my Amazon specific stuff ... discussion for a different thread. :)

4. Both are probably right. RAM is address space for apps to run, like RAM on our computer. Storage is like your hard disk drive, or a USB thumbdrive. Hmm ... gotta digest that one. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones