• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooted samsung s6

Herb94

Lurker
Jan 18, 2016
I recently bought a Samsung s6 on done deal and the phone is rooted. I didn't know anything about rooted phones until I bought one, other than what I've read on Google. Anyway, I just realised the other day that you can no longer get OTA updates for the phone unless you connect it to a computer and download a certain app (smart switch) which gets rid of the root. Doesn't sound so bad to me? But as I'm new to this I'm wondering is it straight forward enough for a beginner to do or can things go wrong? Also my phone was on ID network but is unlocked now (I'm assuming the root unlocked it) so if I download an update and get rid of the root will this also lock my phone again? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones