• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted w/Unrevoked, twopointtwo ROM, need to unroot

swany11

Nov 1, 2009
Hi,
I have been searching hi and low for a solution to my original problem (Good for Enterprise won't work on my rooted phone), so I need to unroot my phone.

I am currently using Myn's twopointtwo after rooting with Unrevoked. It has been fantastic. Feels like a completely new phone.

Here is what I need help with:

I am assuming since I installed that ROM, I cannot use the Unrevoked method for unrooting?

Once I unroot, I assume it will basically wipe that ROM, and I will have to start from scratch? Or the changes that the ROM made (deleting bloatware) will still be "visible", giving me a more effective phone?

Or is there a way to unroot, but still have the option to root the phone in the future? Sort of a twopointttwo rooted, and twopointtwo unrooted option?
I am pretty new to the whole rooting process, but made it through Unrevoked unscathed. :)
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi,
I have been searching hi and low for a solution to my original problem (Good for Enterprise won't work on my rooted phone), so I need to unroot my phone.

I am currently using Myn's twopointtwo after rooting with Unrevoked. It has been fantastic. Feels like a completely new phone.

I am assuming since I installed that ROM, I cannot use the Unrevoked method for unrooting?

Once I unroot, I assume it will basically wipe that ROM, and I will have to start from scratch? Or the changes that the ROM made (deleting bloatware) will still be "visible", giving me a more effective phone?

Or is there a way to unroot, but still have the option to root the phone in the future? Sort of a twopointttwo rooted, and twopointtwo unrooted option?
I am pretty new to the whole rooting process, but made it through Unrevoked unscathed. :)

Let start with what issues you are having and why you want to unroot. There are a variety of roms you can flash instead of Myn's if you are looking for something else.

Upvote 0
Hi,

you do not have to unroot if you do not like the rom you are onor if you are currently having issues. that is the nice thing about being rooted is that we have more tools to trouble shoot and fix whatever issues you are having. can you tell us what the issues are? l

like xtreme said you can always try flashing a new rom. just make sure to do a nandroid backup and wipe data, dalvik cache, and cache (i would recommend that you do it at least 3x) before you flash a new rom. you can even try some of the newer roms that are out that have sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 built in. they are truly amamzing roms. since you like myn's work try out his synergy r2 rom. or another great rom is mikg 2.4.

Reactions: MusicJunkie
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply guys. (Bad pun alert) Here is the "root" of the problem:

I have an app I need to use, but it will not work on a rooted phone. It somehow detects that the phone is rooted, and will lock me out (Good for Enterprise).

Is there a way to "trick" the app into thinking the phone is not rooted? I would like to keep the phone rooted if at all possible, but I am thinking that will not be an option anymore.

And if I do need to unroot the phone, do I need to start from scratch? Or by unrooting will the deleted bloatware and other tweaks my rooted ROM made still be active, just not in a state where I can make those tweaks anymore?

Does that all make sense? Not sure if I am explaining it correctly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply guys. (Bad pun alert) Here is the "root" of the problem:

I have an app I need to use, but it will not work on a rooted phone. It somehow detects that the phone is rooted, and will lock me out (Good for Enterprise).

Is there a way to "trick" the app into thinking the phone is not rooted? I would like to keep the phone rooted if at all possible, but I am thinking that will not be an option anymore.

And if I do need to unroot the phone, do I need to start from scratch? Or by unrooting will the deleted bloatware and other tweaks my rooted ROM made still be active, just not in a state where I can make those tweaks anymore?

Does that all make sense? Not sure if I am explaining it correctly.

Unrooting will return your phone to "out of the box" stock. Any mods or themes will be erased. Have you tried running just a stock rooted rom to see if it still does not work?

Upvote 0
Unrooting will return your phone to "out of the box" stock. Any mods or themes will be erased. Have you tried running just a stock rooted rom to see if it still does not work?
That is what I figured.

I have not tried a stock rooted ROM. I will give that a try tonight. I am guessing I will still have the same issue, the app reading the phone's "rooted" state, but worth a shot.

Upvote 0
yeah i'm not sure that an app would care if you are rooted or not. should really not make a difference.
This app is probably one of the only ones it makes a difference with. It is a corporate email program, and the IT admin has the option to not make it work on a rooted phone if he wishes. They must feel it is too much of a security risk to have the phone rooted. Which is probably why I just need to suck it up and go back to an unrooted phone, but I love having it rooted.

Upvote 0
Howdy,

Have same sort of thing on my EVO as well. Got into the flashing last year with my phone, went back to unrooted stock which was my biggest mistake as got the OTA that made it a PITA to root. Forward to a day or two ago, local cable company finally get's app that you can watch live tv on android but you needed 4.0 to do it. So I searched on here and found miui ICS build and said the heck with it, went through all the steps to re-root phone, got ICS all flashed and ready to go. Installed the app again and when it loads, it says you can't use live tv on a rooted device. Talk about ticking me off. Anyways, how do these apps know it is rooted and is there a way around it? BTW loving the ICS on the EVO... works very smooth and quick... just wished there was a stock sense closk that updated weather/location like in GB... but have used something similar for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones