• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting and access data

lonil8724

Lurker
May 11, 2023
Hi!

First of all sorry for my bad English. I'm leaning yet.

I have an Android device (MediaTek MT8163, Android 6.0.1) and there are data of application (DB). This user data can be read only under root user.
I decided rooting the device for access and have few questions:
1. Does the rooting erase all user data?
2. How can make a backup of user data including that data which are readable under a root user?
3. Can I access to this data without rooting the device? For example, on PC with Android emulator?
4. How to make a full backup of the device? For example, some image
5. How to restore backup if something wrong happens?

Thanks.

1. Rooting itself does not erase user data, but unlocking the bootloader, which is a first step in most rooting processes, will erase everything.
Some older devices would have device-specific hacks for rooting that might not erase stuff, but as OS security has developed this is less common.
I don't know your device (and Android 6 is the only major version in the last 13 years I've not used), so don't know what options or tools there will be for it. But it's likely you'll have to unlock the bootloader, and hence likely it will erase the lot.
You should always back up everything important before messing with the phone's software anyway.

2. This is Catch 22: to back these data up properly you need root!
Back up everything you can with whatever tools are available (e.g. separate backups for SMS, other messaging apps may have their own backups, there are various ways of backing up contacts).
On an old Android version like that you might find the Helium backup app works OK (I used that with Android 5, and while it can't back up everything it got most stuff). This is based on the "adb backup" command, so you could look into that as well (if you are thinking of rooting then you need to learn about adb anyway).
You can try cloud backups, e.g. Google offer backups of app data. Personally I've never had any luck with that, but you can try. Cloud backups of contacts, calendars, photos etc are straightforward.
Some manufacturers might have backup tools of their own (to back stuff up to a computer), though your phone doesn't sound like it's likely to have that.
Backups have always been a weak point in Android. Probably because it's Google, who think that everything should be in their cloud and don't really care much if you want to do differently.

3. Probably not, but I've never looked into this.
Bear in mind though that if what you are asking here were straightforward it would provide a route for a thief to access confidential information, such as banking details. So it's not obvious that they'd want to make it easy.

4. The only way to do an image backup (which is actually a set of images) is to replace the system recovery module with a custom on (e.g. TWRP) and use that to make a backup.
Installing TWRP requires the bootloader is unlocked, so you are back to the problem that you'll erase the data before you can install it.
Also, and this is extremely important, recovery modules are specific to the device model. So you'll need a custom recovery that was built for your particular model of phone. Not just another phone that has the same processor, or the same Android version, but the exact model. If you attempt to install a recovery built for a different phone the best case scenario is that it doesn't work at all: the worst case is that either installing it or using it corrupts other partitions in the phone, leading to permanent data loss and possibly making the phone unusable and unfixable (e.g. if you corrupt the bootloader that's game over).

5. If you have a custom recovery and a backup made from it that's easy: boot into recovery mode and tell it to restore the backup. A recovery backup (also known as a "nandroid" backup) backs up the ROM (system and kernel) as well as user apps and data, so this will restore the phone to the state it was in when the backup was taken.

For other types of backup discussed above, it depends on what tool or method was used. Usually this will involve using the same tool to restore. As for Google's app data backups someone else may advise, I've no useful experience of that to offer.

Upvote 0
Hi!

First of all sorry for my bad English. I'm leaning yet.

I have an Android device (MediaTek MT8163, Android 6.0.1) and there are data of application (DB). This user data can be read only under root user.
I decided rooting the device for access and have few questions:
1. Does the rooting erase all user data?
2. How can make a backup of user data including that data which are readable under a root user?
3. Can I access to this data without rooting the device? For example, on PC with Android emulator?
4. How to make a full backup of the device? For example, some image
5. How to restore backup if something wrong happens?

Thanks.
1. yes as @Hadron mentioned. bootloader unlocked=erased data.
2. what phone do you have? some phone manufacturers have their own utilities that will back up most things. for instances Samsung has Smart Switch that works with most apps, but some apps may get backed up....or at least the data for the app may not be backed up.
3. what data are we talking about? from an app? are they files?
4. "some image"? a full backup will need a custom recovery like TWRP as suggested by @Hadron. this you will need root. and it should be the very first thing pnce the phone is rooted.
5. once you have a custom recovery, you should perform a nandroid backup. nandroid backups are a full image of your phone. if something goes wrong and you still have a custom recovery, you can then just do a restore of the nandroid backup you made earlier(hopefully).

it might be helpful to know what phone you have, and what kind of data you need backing up and maybe why you want to root the phone.

Upvote 0
Hi guys!
Thanks a lot for detailed answer!

Sorry for my delayed answer.

My device is ASUS ZenPad 8.0 (Z380M). How to root I found on [TWRP][RECOVERY] Asus ZenPad 8.0 Z380M (locked bootloader ok)

The file which I need is cache4.db of Telegram application.
It should to be located at /data/data/org.telegram.messenger/files/cache4.db
I can't to use any cloud storages becouse the convesation was been delated from Telegram server. So when I connect to Internet my local copy will be delated too.

With adb I worked and little bit know how to use it.

Upvote 0
Hi guys!

My device is ASUS ZenPad 8.0 (Z380M). How to root I found on [TWRP][RECOVERY] Asus ZenPad 8.0 Z380M (locked bootloader ok)

I can't to use any cloud storages becouse the convesation was been delated from Telegram server. So when I connect to Internet my local copy will be delated too.

Reactions: loniI8724
Upvote 0
Hi guys!

ok so that is going to be very difficult to gain permission to be able to read and write that file. you will definitely need root for that. i read in a readdit post that someone was able to get it by using Titanium Backup. but that app is can only be used on a rooted phone.

i don't think you can grab it without root and rooting will wipe your data.

you can try this, though i have my doubts:
its just a google backup to your google drive........so i doubt this will work, but who knows.

i could not find an actual utility backup/restore program from asus.

Reactions: loniI8724
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones