• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting htc hero

well this is what has happened. i downloaded and installed z4root. i then downloaded universal androot and it said i was already rooted. so i rooted again using that. It said it worked. From their i turned my phone off trying to get into the other recovery mode because mine is 2e. so i was seeing if i was rooted. It seemed as if i wasn't. I went back to z4 which still said i was. So i hit unroot. and let it do its thing. after that i went back to universal androot which kept failing every time i hit root. However when i clicked unroot it said "you are not rooted" but see i was never rooted in the first place. So why won't universal androot re root my now unrooted phone? anyway fast forward i went back to z4 hit temp. root let it do its thing then rom manager installed. I went to it and attempted to flash clockwork. it said an error occured. I assumed it was because i was only temporarly rooted. So back to z4 i went. I then clicked pemanent root and it has been stuck on the screen that says "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." for like 15 minutes. So if it don't do nothing in the next few minutes im going to hit the back button and go back to it and then fully unroot. And then instead of temp. just hit permanent. these are my ideas and whats going through my head. correct me if im wrong because im trying to go off what you said, even though you said nothing about androot.

Upvote 0
well,,, i went to bed after clicking unroot and z4 unexpectedly stopped... so i pulled battery cause i was only on temp. root. i turned back on and it just lit up the htc screen and then would go black and repeat the process.... then she shut off. charger connected no light no nothing she won't even boot up. shes a black piece of nothing.... Ladies and Gentlemen follow my steps with your htc hero and it will no longer be a hero, but a loser

Upvote 0
The problem is you are getting impatient, if we are not around and something does not go right you need to step back and wait instead of trying so many different methods, you cannot start and stop, and then back out and start again, you will most likely cause an issue somewhere and not to say you used 2 apps to try to root and then tried to temp root and then back out and permanent root, so you see where I am going with this, I was exhausted last night and fell asleep on the couch. For now all you want is the Z4Root, and I would leave your phone in the charger for now even if the light does not come on, and we will check it later on in the day, but you need to slow down and simply do the steps we ask you to do otherwise some things are not reversible and you will have to start from scratch all over again. I should be around later on today and I will check in do not do anything else until we talk and we will take it from there ;)

well,,, i went to bed after clicking unroot and z4 unexpectedly stopped... so i pulled battery cause i was only on temp. root. i turned back on and it just lit up the htc screen and then would go black and repeat the process.... then she shut off. charger connected no light no nothing she won't even boot up. shes a black piece of nothing.... Ladies and Gentlemen follow my steps with your htc hero and it will no longer be a hero, but a loser

Upvote 0
got it boss.. ya the light came on, and it will start up but all it will do it go HTC then go black then light up then go HTC then take me to the recovery menu screen... also, would this have caused my memory card to brick? Anyway im taking her over to alltel to see what they think later today.. good idea or bad? if they give me a new one. good, but alltel's site don't even say they have the hero in their lineup. bad- if they try to send it away for a few days.

Upvote 0
got it boss.. ya the light came on, and it will start up but all it will do it go HTC then go black then light up then go HTC then take me to the recovery menu screen... also, would this have caused my memory card to brick? Anyway im taking her over to alltel to see what they think later today.. good idea or bad? if they give me a new one. good, but alltel's site don't even say they have the hero in their lineup. bad- if they try to send it away for a few days.

BAD IDEA. If they know you tried to root your phone you will be SOL. The HTC warranty does NOT cover a phone that was rooted, or attempted root. You may get lucky, and they could just give you a new one, but wait until someone can help you. If you can get it to turn on, there is likely a fix. Just be patient. Someone with more knowledge than I will be on here at some point this morning, and will be able to help you. And What recovery menu screen are you speaking of? In order to see a recovery screen you have to be rooted and have a recovery image flashed.

Upvote 0
Bad Idea, they will know it is rooted and you will be SOL as 330D mentioned

Reactions: LKNDY81
Upvote 0
idk it will turn on as i said and flash HTC then go black. then fllash HTC then go black and the picture of the phone with the ! mark in the triangle will pop up. I then click the home and end key together then it goes into a recovery boot mode thingy. it says recovery 2e. then i have the options to reboot phone or apply sd update . zip factory reset or clear cache. Ive did them all (in the past) but i have only factory reset it last night. if i click reboot phone the whole process i explained will be repeated... also how will they know i rooted. I factory reset so their should be no trace that i ever tried... Ive deleted everything i can off of it from that menu.. Even if they expected that and asked i could tell them i was doing an update from htc's website and it messed up my phone.... and what does SOL mean?

Upvote 0
SOL, means shit out luck, They will know you rooted because they will see the SU app, the exclamation means you did not flash a proper recovery.

idk it will turn on as i said and flash HTC then go black. then fllash HTC then go black and the picture of the phone with the ! mark in the triangle will pop up. I then click the home and end key together then it goes into a recovery boot mode thingy. it says recovery 2e. then i have the options to reboot phone or apply sd update . zip factory reset or clear cache. Ive did them all (in the past) but i have only factory reset it last night. if i click reboot phone the whole process i explained will be repeated... also how will they know i rooted. I factory reset so their should be no trace that i ever tried... Ive deleted everything i can off of it from that menu.. Even if they expected that and asked i could tell them i was doing an update from htc's website and it messed up my phone.... and what does SOL mean?

Reactions: LKNDY81
Upvote 0
i cant mount it. It wont do anything.. However i removed the SU thing.. i uninstalled it last night because even when i hit unroot. it stayed their and i knew i wasn't rooted properly so i went to applications and went to superuser and hit uninstall and then it was gone. and even after that when i clicked pemanent root on z4 and root on androot the SU never came back... but i was never really su in the first place cause i never rooted correctly right?

Anyway how would i mount it if i can't turn it on?

And if the ! mark means i didn't flash a right recovery... How's that possible when ive flashed nothing... Its been that recovery every since i got it last August.

Also how will they see it if they can't turn it on... and what if it is Semi-bricked so therefore its stuck in the process it is in now for all eternity... Then they couldn't see anything either? I also factory reset it so shouldn't it be unrooted, straight 2.1-update 1 and no SU?

Upvote 0
Did you say you flashed the RUU,and then rooted again, I assume you download the Rom manager and flashed a recovery, anyways, you can try to take it back to all, but here is your issue, you are rooting and then uninstalling apps that are needed in the root process, such as SU app, anyways, if your phone is still under warranty, then take it back and see what they say, worst case scenario they will say your warranty is voided, keep us posted

i cant mount it. It wont do anything.. However i removed the SU thing.. i uninstalled it last night because even when i hit unroot. it stayed their and i knew i wasn't rooted properly so i went to applications and went to superuser and hit uninstall and then it was gone. and even after that when i clicked pemanent root on z4 and root on androot the SU never came back... but i was never really su in the first place cause i never rooted correctly right?

Anyway how would i mount it if i can't turn it on?

And if the ! mark means i didn't flash a right recovery... How's that possible when ive flashed nothing... Its been that recovery every since i got it last August.

Upvote 0
Wow, talk about being impatient lol, that's when things go wrong

I myself have gotten that black screen with a triangle in it and just simply did a factory reset (which you can do by pressing power, home and back button together while phone is off and it will take you to a screen where it allows you to do a factory reset) and then turned phone back on and it worked

Upvote 0
Great news and good thing you still had a warranty on it, glad it all worked out

yay they are sending me a new one... No questions asked i told them that a process quit working. I pulled battery then sha bam... nothing.. i showed them. and they are sending me a new one... it ships tomorrow.. yes i was impatient. lesson learned and it won't happen again lol..

Upvote 0
indeed. thnx and i will.. I think Donb may still help me if im lucky lol.....

Actually i researched it very far.. i spent a couple weeks looking and learning.. But it was as if my phone was a one in a kind hero because everytime I tried a method from ANYWHERE it didn't work.. from for instance the unlockr.com i ran into a problem that said USB connection error every time i ran the RUU to downgrade my firmware to 1.5.

I'm not for sure how this effects anything but my build number was higher then what it should have been for 2.1 so therefore i had to downgrade my firmware so my build number would be smaller so i could gain root access....

Upvote 0
Research is very important, right now I'm researching how to build a PC since I've never done it before, I've been researching for the past several weeks from watching videos to reading several threads and sites and I still don't feel fully comfortable doing it yet...basically what I'm trying to say is don't do anything until you actually feel comfortable with what you are doing

Upvote 0
+1 Research is priceless, but we are always here to help

Research is very important, right now I'm researching how to build a PC since I've never done it before, I've been researching for the past several weeks from watching videos to reading several threads and sites and I still don't feel fully comfortable doing it yet...basically what I'm trying to say is don't do anything until you actually feel comfortable with what you are doing

Upvote 0
indeed. thnx and i will.. I think Donb may still help me if im lucky lol.....

Actually i researched it very far.. i spent a couple weeks looking and learning.. But it was as if my phone was a one in a kind hero because everytime I tried a method from ANYWHERE it didn't work.. from for instance the unlockr.com i ran into a problem that said USB connection error every time i ran the RUU to downgrade my firmware to 1.5.

I'm not for sure how this effects anything but my build number was higher then what it should have been for 2.1 so therefore i had to downgrade my firmware so my build number would be smaller so i could gain root access....

For future reference, you cannot downgrade your phones firmware from 2.1 to 1.5. Also, any build that your phone is, can be rooted;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones