• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting my brand new LG Volt question to be used as a music player...

Thanks, was wondering if there was a way to cancel the auto-activation process.
Phone is showing LS740ZV4, Android at 4.4.2

So far playing with the phone battery life seems good, should be slightly better after the battery has been cycled a few times.

Since I don't have a case for it haven't played with it much.

I am able to "see" the signal strength, via on the taskbar and "Open Signal" when I toggle the cell radio on, of course I can't run any download tests.

On the taskbar I see a static 3G symbol (sometimes), and from time to time a 3G surrounded by 360 degrees of dots /bars.... I would assume this is when phone is transmitting data, handling off to another tower.
Going to menu bar at bottom of main screen, System Settings>Settings>About phone, Network says EvDo-rev.A right now.. I don't see a #G symbol, but I have 6 bar showing, -80dBm.

Taskbar while sitting here typing this shows a icon that looks like a SIM CARD with a red exclamation point.
(I would assume this is normal if phone is unsuccessful in activating.)

The app "Open Signal" says
Chameleon ] EVDO A, gives signal strength, shows Data as 49ms.

After doing a reboot, with the unit trying to auto-activate at some point I see a error message about SIM CARD being no good (Something to that effect) and to call CS.

Q: I guess the SIM CARD error message is normal when the phone hasn't been activated, right?

PS: I have not seen a LTE symbol yet? So I'm wondering if no signal being present is due to no LTE in my area, or because the phone hasn't been activated.

Guess I'm off to do some searching...

I have virgin mobile for my provider so naturally I have a virgin volt. I have sent the thing in a few times for repair (screen issue) so I have had it deactivated and reactivated quite a few times already. My virgin volt would show 4G just fine even when unactivated (perhaps because it was already activated and had current prls and what not). I have been given the run around with LG who is not fixing my screen so I finally bought a boost volt during black friday for $40. It started up and tried activating like my virgin one and when it finally failed activation it gave me a message that activation failed and it has locked the sim. I got no 4G or 3G icons then (and I know I should have 4g since the activated one is right next to it). Out of curiosity, I restarted the phone and it went through the activation thing again but this time on the 1 of 5 screen, I clicked activate and it brought me to the black screen and my icon came back. So try restarting the phone and clicking the activate button to load up the app and then your phone might work better. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm up way too late and I'm tired.

EDIT: As soon as I post that... I get an error and it locks the SIM again. You probably need to have it activated =(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-21-00-50-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-21-00-50-54.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2015-01-18-20-56-41.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-18-20-56-41.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2015-01-21-01-03-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-21-01-03-06.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones