• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Problems..

Flash500

Jul 17, 2013
I'm trying to root coolpad with framaroot (through Gimli process) and in result it always states: EXPLOIT RESULTS HALF SUCCESS :-/ ... system partition is read only, use local.prop trick

It shouldn't be displaying that and the phone should be rooted but it's not. Why?

I'm trying to root coolpad with framaroot (through Gimli process) and in result it always states: EXPLOIT RESULTS HALF SUCCESS :-/ ... system partition is read only, use local.prop trick

It shouldn't be displaying that and the phone should be rooted but it's not. Why?

If you recently bought the coolpad, your probably screwed due to the latest update, did you set turn on debugging mode.

Upvote 0
Yes it can , you can download root checker to see if its still rooted also disabling USB debugging mode will cause loss of root on this phone.

I don't remember if framaroot has an unroot option, but if all else fails, do a factory reset, before I rooted mine I did a factory reset and did any system updates there were and had no issues on my first try, and for my friends I just checked for updates before running framaroot and again, no issues. Good luck!

Ok, I factory reset and and used framaroot with usb debugging on but it still displayed that error and when I rebooted, it went to a boot loop. Then when I factory reset a 2nd time, supersu was installed but i have no root access. So supersu is useless. What should I do now?

Upvote 0
Have you tried removing superuser su in the su app itself then trying to reroot? Even after a factory reset su can keep itself in the system, it's not the same as reflashing stock firmware, have dealt w this on some LG phones myself. Have you used that specific apk before? Is it a corrupt file possibly, I've heard of that happening w incorrect sized framaroot apk files.

Reactions: Flash500
Upvote 0
Framaroot - Download - 4shared

here's the framaroot I use...

Have you tried removing superuser su in the su app itself then trying to reroot? Even after a factory reset su can keep itself in the system, it's not the same as reflashing stock firmware, have dealt w this on some LG phones myself. Have you used that specific apk before? Is it a corrupt file possibly, I've heard of that happening w incorrect sized framaroot apk files.

I tried unrooting in the supersu app and then I used that framaroot to root but it displays the same message (in OP) and then when i reboot, it goes into a boot loop to which i have to factory reset. Supersu is installed and the device is unrooted.

Upvote 0
Are you using the newer su in the framaroot app? Debugging and outside apps allowed? The older su has been reported to be buggy on the coolpad. Use the newer one.
I would try removing su within the su app itself, rebooting, and see if su is still there, if so, lather and repeat at least 3 times. If that doesn't work, try to remove su from the su app for reinstallation from the play store, maybe it can be removed that way before trying to reroot. Not sure if the way you're removing su and rerooting will be an issue if a reboot isn't performed between. Sometimes the software needs to reset itself properly after certain changes such as removing a system app. You can also try a factory reset only IF & AFTER you manage to get su off, if it isn't removed a factory reset WILL restore it. If THAT fails, try to get a hold of the stock firmware and see if that's restorable/flashable through the stock recovery, as no custom recovery I personally know of works for this, thing, and again, flashing firmware and a factory reset are two different monsters with two different outcomes. Good luck, let me know how it goes...

Upvote 0
good day everyone i am in need of some help with a coolpad 5860e that i got last week. can this phone run on gsm networks an if so how do i unlock it cause i live in the Trinidad and Tobago which is in Caribbean an both networks are gsm an i have both sims when i put them in the ph just has a water mark text on home screen asking for metro pcs sim. can someone please help me with this.

Upvote 0
Are you using the newer su in the framaroot app? Debugging and outside apps allowed? The older su has been reported to be buggy on the coolpad. Use the newer one.
I would try removing su within the su app itself, rebooting, and see if su is still there, if so, lather and repeat at least 3 times. If that doesn't work, try to remove su from the su app for reinstallation from the play store, maybe it can be removed that way before trying to reroot. Not sure if the way you're removing su and rerooting will be an issue if a reboot isn't performed between. Sometimes the software needs to reset itself properly after certain changes such as removing a system app. You can also try a factory reset only IF & AFTER you manage to get su off, if it isn't removed a factory reset WILL restore it. If THAT fails, try to get a hold of the stock firmware and see if that's restorable/flashable through the stock recovery, as no custom recovery I personally know of works for this, thing, and again, flashing firmware and a factory reset are two different monsters with two different outcomes. Good luck, let me know how it goes...

Uninstalling Supersu throught the actual app itself does not seem to work as it looks like it is still installed afterwards. I'm going to attempt to uninstall supersu through its app again and then root through framaroot. But will using a file browser that uses root privileges work if I use it after I root and do not reboot? Because rebooting apparently always causes it to boot loop after being rooted. If that doesn't work do you know how to flash firmware? Because I do not..

Upvote 0
good day everyone i am in need of some help with a coolpad 5860e that i got last week. can this phone run on gsm networks an if so how do i unlock it cause i live in the Trinidad and Tobago which is in Caribbean an both networks are gsm an i have both sims when i put them in the ph just has a water mark text on home screen asking for metro pcs sim. can someone please help me with this.

It doesn't work on GSM for my coolpad. I think its only for CDMA which is a totally different network. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Uninstalling Supersu throught the actual app itself does not seem to work as it looks like it is still installed afterwards. I'm going to attempt to uninstall supersu through its app again and then root through framaroot. But will using a file browser that uses root privileges work if I use it after I root and do not reboot? Because rebooting apparently always causes it to boot loop after being rooted. If that doesn't work do you know how to flash firmware? Because I do not..

Damn broseph...

Are you using the newer SU app? That one should have an option or two to remove it, by for reinstallation by Play Store or by other means. Try both options to remove it several times if needed before any rebooting or rerooting. Gotta get that SOB off somehow. A factory reset will only restore it as is, minus settings, data, cache, etc...

If SU is a system app, you must be rooted to remove it or ANY system app, unless by the grace of God, you have the option to remove it in the systems app settings, or see if it's in your app drawer in the Play Store. If not try reinstalling via SU or the Play Store, then try any and all the above I've mentioned to remove it...mix up the order if one way doesn't work.

As far as the rebooting causing a loop, from what I understand the system must reset to reload into SU/administrator mode.

I personally have NEVER entered stock recovery on any Coolpad, can you send a pic of it to me by way of another phone or camera? Still hoping for a custom recovery. Not sure if a local store could reflash stock firmware or not, but seeing the recovery with my own eyes would help, and honestly I don't wanna enter mine unless I have to...

Upvote 0
Damn broseph...

Are you using the newer SU app? That one should have an option or two to remove it, by for reinstallation by Play Store or by other means. Try both options to remove it several times if needed before any rebooting or rerooting. Gotta get that SOB off somehow. A factory reset will only restore it as is, minus settings, data, cache, etc...

If SU is a system app, you must be rooted to remove it or ANY system app, unless by the grace of God, you have the option to remove it in the systems app settings, or see if it's in your app drawer in the Play Store. If not try reinstalling via SU or the Play Store, then try any and all the above I've mentioned to remove it...mix up the order if one way doesn't work.

As far as the rebooting causing a loop, from what I understand the system must reset to reload into SU/administrator mode.

I personally have NEVER entered stock recovery on any Coolpad, can you send a pic of it to me by way of another phone or camera? Still hoping for a custom recovery. Not sure if a local store could reflash stock firmware or not, but seeing the recovery with my own eyes would help, and honestly I don't wanna enter mine unless I have to...

Apparently you cant remove it by Google Play. And the option from the app (updated) does not seem to uninstall. I'm thinking of getting a new phone altogether now. I think I'm going to do that. But i'll try stock recovery since that's the only hope now. I think the system partition gets corrupted somehow after rooting since supersu is installed. So I'm screwed pretty much :/

Upvote 0
reroot, regardless of the outcome try to remove su before rebooting either in su, play store, or a root file browser, if you can, directly after do a factory reset...then try to reroot, reboot, and cross your fingers and toes. maybe unrooting and rerooting, without rebooting, changing permissions, changing su from a system app to a user app, whatever sneaky sh*t you can try, something might work...
sounds like rooting, at least w framaroot changes who knows what in the system.
any luck on finding stock firmware to flash? most metro stores can reflash it depending on your location.
racking my brain but not much else I can think of at the moment...

Upvote 0
reroot, regardless of the outcome try to remove su before rebooting either in su, play store, or a root file browser, if you can, directly after do a factory reset...then try to reroot, reboot, and cross your fingers and toes. maybe unrooting and rerooting, without rebooting, changing permissions, changing su from a system app to a user app, whatever sneaky sh*t you can try, something might work...
sounds like rooting, at least w framaroot changes who knows what in the system.
any luck on finding stock firmware to flash? most metro stores can reflash it depending on your location.
racking my brain but not much else I can think of at the moment...

I tried rooting but half partition message still appears. Then I tried removing supersu and it didn't work. So I rebooted an this time it didn't boot loop. But the bad news is that it still isn't rooted. I think i'm done with this phone. I'm getting a new one. One last question, if i have a current existing phone service on metropcs, can I switch phones without going to their stores?

Upvote 0
Just call customer service and talk to a customer service agent from a different phone than your current phone and also different from the one you want to use or it can cause issues setting the system properly. It's also free that way, most stores charge $10-$20.
Can you possibly send me a pic of this phones recovery? Is there an option to format anything while in recovery, or anything similar to that?
I have seen a post or two floating around talking about a custom recovery for this phone, but I have no knowledge on that personally.
I'm sure there's a fix somehow. I've also heard other one root methods for this phone have worked, but, once again, not sure though.
Stupid question but I'm asking anyway, can you fully access your build prop or root file browser half rooted, or do you possibly have any build props or any system info or settings saved that I can look at?
One more thought, have you tried anything with rooting, formattin the system, flashing stock firmware, or anything else via adb?
I wouldn't argue with you if you got a new phone, I got this one free from a friend as I have been tearing through phones like crazy lately for some reason. If you get a new phone let me know if I can get a hold of it before you smash it... I'm always up to try and fix something. I would try some sh*t on a phone that isn't working properly I wouldn't do to my daily phone.

Upvote 0
Just call customer service and talk to a customer service agent from a different phone than your current phone and also different from the one you want to use or it can cause issues setting the system properly. It's also free that way, most stores charge $10-$20.
Can you possibly send me a pic of this phones recovery? Is there an option to format anything while in recovery, or anything similar to that?
I have seen a post or two floating around talking about a custom recovery for this phone, but I have no knowledge on that personally.
I'm sure there's a fix somehow. I've also heard other one root methods for this phone have worked, but, once again, not sure though.
Stupid question but I'm asking anyway, can you fully access your build prop or root file browser half rooted, or do you possibly have any build props or any system info or settings saved that I can look at?
One more thought, have you tried anything with rooting, formattin the system, flashing stock firmware, or anything else via adb?
I wouldn't argue with you if you got a new phone, I got this one free from a friend as I have been tearing through phones like crazy lately for some reason. If you get a new phone let me know if I can get a hold of it before you smash it... I'm always up to try and fix something. I would try some sh*t on a phone that isn't working properly I wouldn't do to my daily phone.

I can't use a root file browser while half rooted or anything of the system partition. It's annoying. And I can't format the system partition either while in that mode or even in recovery. I'll post picture of the data and phone recovery tomorrow. Thanks :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones