• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting question.

rawrdino

Lurker
Aug 10, 2012
So im asking is it worth rooting? Im really afraid because of the warranty, once i had a HTC Mega i uploaded a custom ROM and then screen stopped working and they only fixed it for money. And another question is when you unroot your device will warranty comeback or not? Thanks ^^

You could flash a generic firmware as close to the one you had originally. Best to ask in sub-forums for your particular device. Also, ask if it's possible to downgrade to your original firmware, if indeed you installed a higher rom.
You would have to hunt around for the flashing program, windows drivers & the full flash rom for your phone, & the instructions.

I would go ahead & root. You should only get charged for repairs if you damaged it. I took mine in & told them it was rooted, I had a common fault so they were happy to repair it & charge it to the manufacturer. I think you were extremely unlucky to be charged if it wasn't your fault, root or no root.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, Rawrdino.
There's a lot of things you can do with a rooted device, true. But, you certainly take risks when installing custom ROMs. I've done a lot with my phones and tablets with root but sometimes I've nearly bricked them. Like !on said, some phones are easily unrootable, some not. Also, it if you need to bring it in for warranty repair it's not always presumptive the tech will look for (or even know) about it being rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones