• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting T-Mobile Advice

Hi guys, just a few questions:

I have an HTC Desire on T-Mobile. I am finally wanting to root it (just because I like getting the most out of my stuff).

I was going to follow this guide: How To: Root the HTC Desire (Unrevoked Method) | TheUnlockr
as it seems to be the most concise one I have found so far, and the easiest.

I've read a lot of forums about SIM locked phoned, gold cards, etc. do I need to worry about this stuff using unRevoked? There doesn't seem to be any mention about it in any unRevoked guides...

Also, if I run unrevoked, do I need to install a custom ROM as well? At the moment I'd just like to root it, then have a think about what ROM to choose.

If I hold down the back key and turn the phone on I get:

BRAVO PVTI SHIP S-ON
HBOOT 0.93.0001
MICROP 031d
TOUCHPANEL SYNT0101
RADIO 5.10.05.17_2

Thanks very much for any help! :)

unrEVOked flashes a custom recovery (so you can flash custom ROMs) but other than that it just gives you root access. It doesn't flash a ROM so you can stay with your current one for the time being. I'd make a gold card as you're on a branded Desire, but you can do this after rooting if you want.

The only issue is you're on a ROM that can't be restored to stock as yet as the T-Mobile 2.22.110.4 RUU isn't available at present. How long have you had your Desire?

Upvote 0
A gold card is used to flash an official ROM different from what originally came with the handset, e.g. flashing a stock WWE ROM onto your T-Mobile-branded Desire. It's not needed for rooting.

Pretty sure I've replied to you on XDA, if you got it on 2.1 then you can get the 1.21.110.4 RUU to roll back if you need to but you'll need the gold card to roll back the HBOOT (not 100% sure on that, though)

Upvote 0
Must be an imposter, I'm not registered on XDA (although I do read the forums there) :D.

So as far as having 0.93.0001 HBOOT goes, unRevoked should work.

Say I want to flash a custom ROM with unRevoked, do I then need a gold card or is that just for putting another "official" ROM on your phone that isn't a custom one?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I'm generally quite good with computery stuff but phones are still a bit of a mystery to me. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones