• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Okay so I have managed to kill an entire morning reading te forums. Don't worry m a government employees so it's okay. Anyway I've seen countless threads about how to root the droind but none that say exactly why you would want t do this. Ill admit I'm new to the Droid world so maybe I'm just clueless but if it's something thatt will make my Droid kick more ass I'm game:)

PS. Pleas excuse typos. I'm still getting used t the keyboard

try this..

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/82742-all-new-guide-all-things-root-related.html

or this...

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/111727-so-i-rooted-now-what.html

There are a number of other threads in the rooting forum on the benefits of rooting.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/index11.html

For me, the benefit was overclocking. after you have like 50 apps installed, the phone can start slowing down(with things running in the background and services). I just overclocked my phone today to 1.2ghz...which makes it just as fast as my Nexus One.

Reactions: mwhindy
Upvote 0
I was always scared to root my phone because it voids the warranty and I was always scared of bricking. But when I found out you could get Froyo I couldn't resist. I don't regret it at all either!

There's really no disadvantage or reason why you shouldn't root your phone. Right now with Froyo you'll get Flash Player, Tethering, Apps to SD card, etc. Plus as mentioned before you can overclock the processor which is pretty cool.

Just make sure you make a backup of whatever you have on your phone before rooting, that way in case you do mess up, you can restore it to what you had.
It happened to me, and I forgot to make a backup that time, so I had to restore my phone to about a week ago, so I lost a couple free apps I downloaded, and my phone log and messages were a bit messed up, but nothing too bad!

Upvote 0
I was always scared to root my phone because it voids the warranty and I was always scared of bricking. But when I found out you could get Froyo I couldn't resist. I don't regret it at all either!

There's really no disadvantage or reason why you shouldn't root your phone. Right now with Froyo you'll get Flash Player, Tethering, Apps to SD card, etc. Plus as mentioned before you can overclock the processor which is pretty cool.

Just make sure you make a backup of whatever you have on your phone before rooting, that way in case you do mess up, you can restore it to what you had.
It happened to me, and I forgot to make a backup that time, so I had to restore my phone to about a week ago, so I lost a couple free apps I downloaded, and my phone log and messages were a bit messed up, but nothing too bad!

In reference to backup up, once you backup, GET IT OFF THE SD CARD. 1 day after I rooted my phone, my SD card crapped out which forced my to have to format it....so I lost my original backup. It's not that big of a deal though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones