• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running Application Question

dbu

Nov 12, 2009
Ok, forgice my noobishness, but I am not sure if I have a problem or not. I have been reading a lot about how some people Droids open up apps spontaneously. I think that may be happening to me. They don't open up on the screen but lets say I kill all the running apps with taskiller or advanced task killer, and then I open up either task manager and bam, there is a whole bunch or crap running without me actually opening anything up. What gives?

Ok, forgice my noobishness, but I am not sure if I have a problem or not. I have been reading a lot about how some people Droids open up apps spontaneously. I think that may be happening to me. They don't open up on the screen but lets say I kill all the running apps with taskiller or advanced task killer, and then I open up either task manager and bam, there is a whole bunch or crap running without me actually opening anything up. What gives?

I think it's normal.. my phone has been doing it since day 1. It's mostly apps like "corporate calendar" and background processes that I don't think are really causing any issues.

Upvote 0
I think it's normal.. my phone has been doing it since day 1. It's mostly apps like "corporate calendar" and background processes that I don't think are really causing any issues.

I just rebooted my phone and right off the bat here is what's running:

email
game on (xbox live app)
google voice
settings
taskiller
live football scores
facebook
voice dialer
gmail
alarm clock
corporate calendar
digital clock
messaging
handcent sms
advanced task killer

I know some of these shouldbe running in the background, but to have all this running right after boot up and only having 83MB of available memory right off the bat seems weird.

Upvote 0
thats why i bought the advanced task manager because this and other programs like it can automatically kill certain apps when there inactive for a certain amount of time..you specify how often it kills theses apps lowest is 30 min so you might boot up with everything but if you dont use any of those it will eventually kill them for u

Upvote 0
I just rebooted my phone and right off the bat here is what's running:

email
game on (xbox live app)
google voice
settings
taskiller
live football scores
facebook
voice dialer
gmail
alarm clock
corporate calendar
digital clock
messaging
handcent sms
advanced task killer

I know some of these shouldbe running in the background, but to have all this running right after boot up and only having 83MB of available memory right off the bat seems weird.

All of those make perfect sense to me. They all need to have services running to be able to work correctly. Which ones do you have questions about?

Upvote 0
All of those make perfect sense to me. They all need to have services running to be able to work correctly. Which ones do you have questions about?

None in particular, just trying to make sure everything is in good running order. BTW, Bwolf, I sen you a private message on PPC Geeks, I was wondering if you had tried Open Home and it was working good?

Upvote 0
Not to impose on dbu's thread, but I have a follow-up question to this.

I also see a lot of background processes starting spontaneously in Advanced Task Killer, and I typically have between 30MB and 40MB of memory left open after screwing around with apps for a few minutes (nothing big like google sky or games). Almost none of these background processes show up in the "running services" page in phone settings.

Does having these processes open necessarily use CPU (and degrade battery life)? Does the amount of phone memory being used indicate how much faster than normal the battery is being drained? I ask this because I feel like I'm having to use Advanced Task Killer to kill everything whenever I lock my phone, as I'm afraid these processes drain the battery while the phone is locked.

Thanks for anyone's help, and sorry again if I'm hogging your thread, dbu.

Upvote 0
Under settings | applications | running services I see the following:

avail:18 mb + 48 mb in 8 other 46mb in 3

I think I've figured it out by looking at the task list and task killer app. I've discerned that the first part is 18 mb free ram with another 48 mb that could be used if some of the 8 running apps were killed.

Is this correct?

Also, what is the second part of the line, "other 46 mb in 3" indicating?

How much ram is free above in total? It's my understanding that the droid has 256 mb of ram to run the OS and apps and that once the OS boots etc. we have about 90 mb to run apps with. Is this correct?

Thanks,
John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones