• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Running phone without battery

A

Android Question

Asked this question in the Rugby Pro forum 4 days ago without response. Hoping this is a generic android question.
I have a Rugby I no longer use. I want to recycle my phone but want to erase the files first. My problem is the battery is dead. Any way to start/run a Rugby without a battery?

In my experience phones run off the battery at all times, and the charger is just for charging. So don't be surprised if you will need a battery to do this.

Mike's test will be definitive: if it won't boot while plugged in with no battery then you definitely need a battery.

Whether the battery is installed or not, when the charger is plugged in, I get a battery icon? with an indicator showing it's charging. Every few seconds the phone vibrates. After 24 hours the battery still shows zero. Hate to buy a battery just to wipe data. It would be easier to throw it away.

Upvote 0
Nothing about erasing data on the phone, but I have a tangential issue where I want to power and use a phone without its battery.
Got a few old phones and want to try to re purpose them. Batteries are old.
I can only seem to get them to boot up when the batteries are in them and a charging cable is plugged in.
I looked at the batteries and see that they both supply 3.7v whereby USB charging is at 5v
Seems the batteries are required to run the phones even if you plan to always have them tethered. Which brings me the the point:
At some point in time, the battery will no longer even be able to perform its sigular remaing task being; to regulate the voltage from 5v input to 3.7v output.
Anyone had any luck in hacking a bypass that replaces this final function of the battery? for example installing a voltage regulator in place of the battery?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones