• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S2 on Tmobile prepaid with unlimited data ok?

vagabond777

Lurker
Jul 31, 2012
Hi
I'll be visiting the US and got a Galaxy S2 specifically because of its portable hotspot feature which I was planning on pairing with a T-mobile Prepaid plan (they are advertising a couple like the daily prepaid at $3/day for unlimited calls texts and data (with cap on data at 200mb/day) and the monthly 4g also with unlimited everything at $50). The Galaxy S2 is unlocked and can take any carrier and of the providers i have browsed through, i find T-Mobile's prepaid stuff the most feasible. But I could be wrong.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these prepaid plans, how they work, and also wanted to ask if in the states, if they say unlimited data, does that mean i can use the S2's hotspot feature with my family and we can be on the net anywhere we go in the US? even in places with no wifi.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi
I'll be visiting the US and got a Galaxy S2 specifically because of its portable hotspot feature which I was planning on pairing with a T-mobile Prepaid plan (they are advertising a couple like the daily prepaid at $3/day for unlimited calls texts and data (with cap on data at 200mb/day) and the monthly 4g also with unlimited everything at $50). The Galaxy S2 is unlocked and can take any carrier and of the providers i have browsed through, i find T-Mobile's prepaid stuff the most feasible. But I could be wrong.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these prepaid plans, how they work, and also wanted to ask if in the states, if they say unlimited data, does that mean i can use the S2's hotspot feature with my family and we can be on the net anywhere we go in the US? even in places with no wifi.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi vagabond and welcome to the forums. :ciao:

I moved your thread to the T-Mobile forums where you can probably get better help with you plans question. If you have the International version of the Galaxy S2 I think you would only get 2G speeds on T-Mobile. I haven't used the hotspot feature. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you. :)

Upvote 0
Hi vagabond and welcome to the forums. :ciao:

I moved your thread to the T-Mobile forums where you can probably get better help with you plans question. If you have the International version of the Galaxy S2 I think you would only get 2G speeds on T-Mobile. I haven't used the hotspot feature. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you. :)

Thanks. One question though, the part about getting 2G speeds if the unit I am using is an international version. Any reason why you think that will happen? Just curious.
Was also reading the thread about getting the SIM in Walmart as against getting the sim online. Was wondering how long it takes T-mobile to deliver online orders for prepaid sims. Like is it next day? or more like a week?
WOuld you know if T-Mobile offices process prepaid sim cards?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks. One question though, the part about getting 2G speeds if the unit I am using is an international version. Any reason why you think that will happen? Just curious.
Was also reading the thread about getting the SIM in Walmart as against getting the sim online. Was wondering how long it takes T-mobile to deliver online orders for prepaid sims. Like is it next day? or more like a week?

Thanks again!

T-Mobile USA's 3G/4G/HSPA+ frequencies are on the 1700/2100 MHz band. The international doesn't have the 1700 MHz band.

It took my sim card 2 days to arrive. It may be different depending on where you are. I'm not sure about the stores. I assume they can probably sign you up with a sim but I would just give them a call and ask.

Upvote 0

Thanks again!

From the website, they ship the SIM card first class mail, so up to three days depending on how close you are to where they are shipping from (I believe mine was shipped from Dallas). From what I've seen, the stores charge the full price ($7) for the activation kit, and they typically have them.

Upvote 0
@ Atmazz said: "T-Mobile USA's 3G/4G/HSPA+ frequencies are on the 1700/2100 MHz band. The international doesn't have the 1700 MHz band."

The specs of the phone says it is capable of the ff frequencies:GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS900 (B8), UMTS2100 (B1).
Will the absence of the 1700mhz band be a big factor in the operation of the phone in the Tmobile network? If so, what problems can be expected?
BTW, the model number of the phone is shv-e110s. It's a S2 4G LTE from Korea.
Thanks again in advance.

Upvote 0
@ Atmazz said: "T-Mobile USA's 3G/4G/HSPA+ frequencies are on the 1700/2100 MHz band. The international doesn't have the 1700 MHz band."

The specs of the phone says it is capable of the ff frequencies:GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS900 (B8), UMTS2100 (B1).
Will the absence of the 1700mhz band be a big factor in the operation of the phone in the Tmobile network?

In the US, without the 1700 MHz band, you will only get very slow Edge speeds on T-Mobile. AT&T uses the 1900 and 2100 bands for 4G but you would probably pay more for their service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones