• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3 camera slow with flash ON

ren857

Android Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2010
This has been driving me crazy!

Is anyone else's camera slow taking pictures when the flash is on?

Mine is as slow as the s2's camera with the flash on.

The s3 camera is fast with the flash off, however.

Please tell me that my phone isn't the only one that is slow... I need to know if I need to exchange my phone.

Thanks.

What you're experiencing with the "shutter lag" when flash is enabled is normal for a phone camera. Before the camera captures a picture, Auto Focus makes sure the subject is in focus, meters exposure for the scene, locks focus then <Beeps> to indicate it's ready for the shot. When flash is enabled, camera typically fires a pre-flash to check exposure, meters the scene and then fire flash. The flash also has a recycle time between shots.

I am a professional photographer so I offer this explanation with reference to Canon EOS 5D Mark II DSLR I use. DSLRs depending on grade have dedicated processor that handles AF function to eliminate the lag you experience on a camera phone.

In short, no matter what you do to the S3, flash photography isn't going to magically get any faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones