• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 Text to speech sucks!!

vidiot1

Lurker
Nov 8, 2010
This is my 3rd Android and I've used the text to speech function on all of them. Has anyone else noticed that the S3 sucks!! I never had any problems with my incredible or fascinate as far as i spoke and it typed out what i say with ease. With the 3s if never understand me and you have to press done when you want to finish. I't's a pain in the ass. Is there a 3rd party app that work better? I'ts driving me crazy.
Thanks

I've noticed the same thing, voice to text on the S3 is not very accurate, and I've even selected personalized recognition under voice search settings, and it doesn't appear to make any difference. You can also try going into settings>language and input>voice recognizer, and then select Samsung powered by Vlingo. But again, I didn't notice any improvement in voice recognition. Hopefully this improves with Jellybean.

Upvote 0
I've noticed the same thing, voice to text on the S3 is not very accurate, and I've even selected personalized recognition under voice search settings, and it doesn't appear to make any difference. You can also try going into settings>language and input>voice recognizer, and then select Samsung powered by Vlingo. But again, I didn't notice any improvement in voice recognition. Hopefully this improves with Jellybean.

Wow, changing to Samsung made a big difference ,thanks. Anyway to get rid of the "done" funtion

Upvote 0
I kinda like how its setup now. The mic stays on which allows you to dictate longer messages without having to constantly hit the mic button.

Yeah, that was a huge improvement. I have more time to think and can put a more complex thought together without stuttering on a word. This post was made by pressing voice to text once. It really is cool!

Upvote 0
I've used several HTC phones along with a newer yet middle of the road Samsung Exhilarate, and I could open apps, play music, send complex sentenced texts, and of course dial by number or contact name... I'm trying to currently find the same app the Samsung used because it worked great.... Now however, I'm stuck with an HTC ONE X which simply dials random numbers because the voice recognition is junk. Or, hopefully it's not the phone itself... :mad:

I'm also in search of a better voice recognition software...

Also, my new android phone (One X) takes forever to get to the start menu... In other words, no matter what, there is a 3-7 second delay when I hit the back key... I've deleted all but one page of apps from my home screen, and this thing is supposed to be faster, but my older HTC doesn't have a delay...? I'm starting to thing I was better of with the cheaper phone.

Upvote 0
Just an FYI. Your title is wrong. You are specifically talking about speech recognition NOT Text to Speech. Text to Speech is the ability of the device to read typed text back to you (similar to receiving texts while in driving mode or the totally awesome text to speech in the S3 navigation app.) Speech recognition is what you are talking about. As mentioned before there are two options for Speech Reco on the device. The Samsung Speech Engine and the Google Speech Engine. Both work similar in nature. Try both to see which works best for your voice patterns/cadence/delays.
The other thing you have been talking about is something called "end-of-speech timeout" This is the amount of time/delay since the recognizer heard anything on the line. This result varies widely due to a number of influences. Many people in the South have longer delays between speech than other parts of the US. So a speech recognizer that is set with quicker end-of-speech will put these folks off since it did not wait for them to finish their sentence.

Basically the Text to Speech I have heard on the device has actually been amazing!

Hope this helps!

/me = Speech Engineer!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones