• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung A53 not so impressive compared to the A52

AppleUser

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2011
Less than a week ago, I "upgraded" from an A52 to A53. There are many articles and videos indicating the A53 is slightly better than the A52. So far, it seems the same or even worse. I have two phones:

A52 5G on Android 12

A53 5G on Android 13

One of the annoyances with the A53 is that when text messaging a video of under 30 seconds, the phone always tells me the file is too large to send and if I want to trim the video. Then I have to press one or two buttons, then press done, and then it transmits a physically smaller-sized video with poorer quality than the A52. The A52 on Android 12 simply goes ahead and reduces the video and then I can press send.

Is this difference because of the Android version or the phone or the messaging software?

My A53 completely died today. Trying to decide if I should get another new 53 or another Samsung. Shall I get the S series?

I stupidly have no good back up but still have the original phone from two months ago. If I activate a new phone will all the interval SMS messages come down from MetroPCS or are the messages completely gone?

this Samsung a 53 is the first cell phone I’ve had that completely died.

Upvote 0
If the messages are SMS then they are gone. SMS that haven't been delivered (because the phone is down) will be kept for 1-2 weeks (depending on the provider) and delivered once you reconnect, but any that have been delivered you won't get again.

If the phone has died within 2 months they definitely owe you a free repair or replacement (unless of course you bought this second-hand, or from some grey market importer).

Failures can happen, though if it is a new phone it's unusual for it to fail totally that soon. Are you sure it's really dead?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. The screen is dead, but the phone works by using a BT headset... then I can answer a call, not make one. I've tried three USB C to HDMI adapters, and none of them give an HDMI signal. Tried two LED TV's and a computer monitor to no avail. Tried doing the things in YouTube videos.... mild compression, force restarting, thumping the phone.

Cannot find any software which will b/u the phone.... tried five different ones and they cannot detect the phone.

Yes, it is under Samsung's warranty. The Samsung people recommended upgrading to the new A54. The Internet indicates the A54 would allow USBC to HDMI. Any opinions here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm surprised if the A53 doesn't do USB-C to HDMI, but it may need some interaction with the screen to allow it (I've used the older MHL, but never a USB-C to HMDI adapter, so can't confirm whether you need to tap anything to activate it). It's extremely unlikely that any backup software will work without you interacting with the phone to allow it - it would be a massive security hole if that was possible, especially if the screen is locked.

It sounds like the screen has failed, or maybe the connection between the motherboard and display. So it could be a moderately expensive repair or a fairly cheap one. But were the Samsung people offering to replace it under warranty for an A54, or expecting you to pay for the upgrade? Because they should not expect you to pay to get a working phone when it's under warranty (unless of course it was damaged rather than a manufacturing fault). Perhaps they are just offering the replace and don't have any A53s left? I've glanced at the specs and the 2 phones seem very similar, to be honest.

Upvote 0
Excellent questions. The free repair of the 53 is independent of the 54 suggestion. Repair of the 53 is free, and purchase of a 54 is optional and is full price. I really would enjoy watching the repair, so will consider paying an independent who will allow me to watch. That might be worth the cash.

So far, no software has accessed the phone, and the software which promises it can, does not have the 53 as a selection. Seems the touch portion of the screen is dead,

Will check on repair times but probably still get the 54 for expediency and add recent info as needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones