• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or HTC Incredible S?

I'm buying an android very soon, I'm simply not sure which of these 2 to go with. My first choice was an Atrix 4G (just cause it has a fingerprint reader :D ) until I found out you can't get it without a contract, or fighting Bell a lot.

Opinions on whether the Galaxy S Vibrant or the HTC Incredible S is better?

Thanks!

what's the problem with Samsung anyway ? They just made a kick-ass ultra thin laptop and they make the Nexus S... I'm sure google wouldn't go for an underdog to build their flagship mobile ?

Any hard facts that prove that Samsung sucks ? Just curious... I don't own any Samsung products but I was fancying a Nexus S...

Upvote 0
The Samsung hardware is always great. As good as they come, in the electronics sense. Its their software support that is always in question. That's why a Nexus S is recommended if you want a Samsung Android because it combines the best of two worlds --- Great Samsung Hardware but not the Samsung software because its Google controlling the OS support directly.

Man I bought the Samsung Galaxy S last month...everyone's saying how bad they are...I feel like I made a huge mistake o_O

Its not a bad choice per se. A lot of people I know seems satisfied with the Galaxy S. But if presented with HTC as the other option, I would prefer the HTC.

But of course, the exception being if HTC vs. the Samsung Nexus S, I would go with the Nexus S. It would be like Samsung Nexus S > HTC Incredible S > Samsung Galaxy S.

In fact, there is no reason I think why you should not consider the Nexus S, given its similarity to the Vibrant and Incredible S, and you get the direct Google support for it, not second hand filtered like the other two.

Note: HTC needs to stop using "S" --- it is probably annoying the heck out of Samsung and the two are very close to a trademark complaint. It already annoyed the heck out of Samsung which originally tried to use "Inspiration" for the original name of the phone called Droid Charge now, that is before HTC suddenly pulled "Inspire" out for that AT&T phone.

Upvote 0
The Samsung hardware is always great.
Not with GPS radios. From my experience (and the threads from various Samdung forums here) they have consistently poor GPS radios. Whether it's inaccuracy, or the inability to get a GPS lock within a reasonable time (if at all) they just don't put great stuff under the hood.

I can agree that they have incredible specs on their phones when released, and they have the best screens that you can get on an Android. But whether or not all the specs actually function properly/consistently is another story (and if they don't function, good luck getting an update from them to fix it).

Also, as previously mentioned, they have terrible post-sales support (software fixes and OS updates) of anyone out there from my experience.

Upvote 0
This weekend I had a chance to compare the displays on my Galaxy S (Captivate) versus Droid X, Atrix, iPhone 4 and 3GS at a party (yeah all nerds). The brilliant display on the Samsung made the other Android handsets looked very dulled. Only the iPhone 4 display comes close.

Outside of the brilliant super AMOLED display, Samsung sucked in almost all of the other aspects, especially their crawling slow software updates and GPS imitation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones