• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S2. Locking Up.

JoshS2

Mar 17, 2012
Hi All,

I'm Josh and I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 and have owned it since July of 2011. Up untill a few day's back the phone hadn't caused me any headaches. However a few days back the phone started to be very slow the touch screen wasn't reacting it would lock up and then restart then the phone would carry on in working order a few hours later the same thing would happen. Also the audio keeps going off and would have to restart the phone again in order for it function. I am hesitant to take it back altough it's under warranty I was don't really want to send it away as I need my phone for work. So I was hoping you guys could help out.

Problems:

Touch Screen not working
Phone freezing up
Audio sometimes not working until restart was done

Thanks

Upvote 0
Gotcha. That would be the i9100. I moved you to the Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) forum.

Now, on to your problem.

Have you installed anything recently or has anything happened to your phone? That behavior could be a variety of things. What it may be is the phone running out of resources because something has gone rogue and won't release ram or the CPU.

I would first try a soft reset. Turn your phone off and remove the battery for a minute or two. Replace and reboot and see if the problems are gone. If it works for a while and then the problem comes back, you might want to install Watchdog Lite and monitor the phone's resources.

If that doesn't find anything or solve the problem, you should consider a factory reset. This puts your phone back to an out-of-the-box condition and clears all user data, so make sure you have ALL important data backed up. If you're rooted you can use Titanium Backup to backup the entire phone. Frankly I usually just backup my messages using SMS Backup, copy off my media files and any other personal data and reinstall my apps, but it's strictly personal preference.

Here's how to reset your phone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Hard reset (ITVraag.nl) - YouTube

If you do that and it is still not working properly, then you most likely have hardware problems and only a warranty replacement will fix it. You could always pick up a cheap Pay-as-you-go phone and use your O2 sim in it until your SGS2 is returned.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I can't see the battery trick doing any favours. As I have already tried this. I just came back from abroad whilst on a little vacation and my phone was exposed to some sunlight perhaps that has damaged screen?

Also thanks for the video, but I'm sure whilst browsing through setting of my phone before there's an option to do factory reset rather opposed to following the instructions on that tutorial video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones