• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S2, T989 T-Mobile SIM unlock Help.

Can someone tell me what "rooted is/means? Is it like unlocking or jailbreaking an iPhone? that is all that I asm used to and I am so stoked on this new galaxy i want to learn everything about it. Makes the iphone 4 obsolete and I LOVED my Iphone 4 until i tried this phone.

Yes, it is the equivalent of Jailbreak an Iphone.
Rooting your Android phone enables you to use the superuser, or root, permissions of the Linux-based operating system (OS). This gives you and apps that take advantage of the root permissions more control over the Android operating system and the device. Rooting can be entertaining for techies, but there are also plenty of practical benefits.

Upvote 0
Yes, T-Mo is pretty good with unlock codes. Even if you are in contract (providing you are in good standing), I know someone who called and said he was going to Europe and didn't want to get killed on calls, they gave him an unlock code. I always get unlock codes for my old phones as well, alwas a swift reply. Just call up and be nice, they'll usually always take care of you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones