• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung i7500 - Low, Middle, or High-end Android Smartphone?

I just wonder what you think guys.
The Samsung i7500 Galaxy is, except the support from Samsung itself, a great Android smartphone with a very good (the best?) price for value.
It's with 11,9mm the second slimmest Android phone after Nexus One with 11,5mm (right?) and has unlike the HTC phones a flash light and build in storage of 8GB.
On most sites the Galaxy is (one of) the cheapest Android phones, I wonder if it's because Samsung is cheaper or HTC/Motorola more expensive by itself?

I personally would compare the i7500 with the HTC Hero, although in my opinion the i7500 still has a much better price for value.

Is it even possible to define if and which Android phone is a low, middle, or high-end smartphone?
Sure, it also depends for what purposes you bought and use your phone, but I still wonder were the i7500 would be if 1=low and 10=high end Android phone, and if there even is a number 10?

I know, it is a bit a unusual question but I think that they are some people outside which have the same question in their mind (or maybe I shouldn't visit the board after I drunk LoL ;-)).

-Val

PS.) I also think that the D-Pad is a big plus and not a minus in comparison to the scroll ball from HTC.

That's true, I knew that our lovely Galaxy phones will be old respectively low-end someday but so fast? Nobody cared before about how strong the processor in their phone was, now the times are changing and the processor is becoming the main factor in a smartphone.
On the other hand, Android phones are still very new, the system has still bugs, they aren't many manufacturers, and the one we have; don't offer a huge choice.

However, I'm glad that I bought the i7500 instead the HTC Hero, although the unlock-button is killing my nerves LoL

Upvote 0
Low end = Pulse, G1 etc
Mid range - All the ones with the QC 528 / Samsung 800 processor, hero, galaxy etc
High end - all the ones with new fast processor, droid, nexus, liquid

You could also say
Low end = phone released over 1 year ago
Mid range = phones released in the last year
High end = phones released/to be this year

Upvote 0
What can not be forgotten is the beautiful AMOLED screen on the Galaxy. I have a 1.5 hour daily commute on public transit and I like to watch movies, documentaries, cartoons etc. This phone is a beautiful light movie player with true colours and great contrast. I haven't seen any other portable video thats looks as nice as my Galaxy.

Upvote 0
I'd say it was a high end Android device when it appeared. But keep in mind that
at that point (summer 2009) there were only a couple of other Android phones on
the market.

I paid ~350 EUR for mine (unlocked). New HTC models usually cost >500 euros
unlocked, so I think that it was good value for money. I plan to have it for about
a year, which means it will cost me about 1 EUR / day in hardware.

Upvote 0
overall - this phone is a big disappointment.

it has a beautiful screen, and nice dimensions, but other than that:
* battery life is ok only after you upgrade the lousy firmware
* extremely stupid lock key with no customization
* its slow!!! the hero is much faster
* my last phone was n95 and the galaxy's camera is no way near the n95! photos are blur, no customization, video SSSUUUXXX
* again - compared to n95 - this phone cant play any of my n95 (mp4) videos!!! wtf??
* gallery - every two weeks or so i need to let the phone re-buffer all the images of the gallery
* again compared to the n95 - speaker sux!
* headset - sux! no controls in the headset

and i can keep listing other stuff, but these are the main ones.
i bought this phone because at the time it was the first android in my country (through my provider)
i LOVE android, i HATE samsung, i knew im taking a risk by buying samsung, and i'l' never make that mistake again.
after only 4 months with the galaxy ims eriously thinking about buying the n1, if only i will read a review that says that the n1 camera is good as the n95's camera...

Upvote 0
To compare what you said to the N1 (since i bought one!)

- it has a beautiful screen, and nice dimensions, but other than that:
N1 has amoled and 800x480 so even higher res, buts it has a redish tint

* battery life is ok only after you upgrade the lousy firmware
N1 has pretty good batter life, but this is linked to how u use it and what widgets you run

* extremely stupid lock key with no customization
No stupid lock key. Its exaclty like the iphone - power key to turn on screen, then swip to unlock

* its slow!!! the hero is much faster
This is down to memory. If you run tweaks you can speed up the galaxy, but in normal use it will slow down again. Hero is faster because it has more ram.
Anyway N1 is super fast - shocked how fast. Its faster than 3GS anyway. Also its only using 250mb of its 512mb ram due to a kernel limitation so expect it to get faster on next update.

* my last phone was n95 and the galaxy's camera is no way near the n95! photos are blur, no customization, video SSSUUUXXX
Stock android camera app sucks. N1 has a slightly better one. Cameras on all phones are pretty crappy tbh. The n95 and the SE ones were a few expceptions. it does 720x480 video at 20+ fps tho. Also it takes pictures really fast

* again - compared to n95 - this phone cant play any of my n95 (mp4) videos!!! wtf??
Android limitation.

* gallery - every two weeks or so i need to let the phone re-buffer all the images of the gallery
Down to android again. N1 has a new gallery app, which is alot better.

* again compared to the n95 - speaker sux!
N1 speaker sucks too (loudspeaker u mean i guess). But thats to be expected on a phone this thin. Its a tinny sound. n95 was a bit of a brick.

* headset - sux! no controls in the headset
N1 has play/pause, rewind, forward - three seperate hardware buttons on the headset

Upvote 0
אלון אתה צודק לגמרי גם אני קניתי את הגלאקסי בסלקום וזה אחד הפלאפונים הכי גרועים שראיתי אי פעם ואני לא סובל אותו אז אני מתכוון לעבור ל
iPhone

Upvote 0
אלון אתה צודק לגמרי גם אני קניתי את הגלאקסי בסלקום וזה אחד הפלאפונים הכי גרועים שראיתי אי פעם ואני לא סובל אותו אז אני מתכוון לעבור ל
iPhone
And now in English!?

Upvote 0
I have an Iphone - and i am now using the samsung galaxy - upgraded the firmwares etc after learning how to flash from off this forum - but to be honest - Samsung sucks but the android platform i feel is far better compared to the iphone one - i mean Android just offers more in terms of being able to play around with the apps etc and the kind of apps it produces - I like it better then apple's - apple's is not that bad - but yea android, if it keeps developing the way it is - i believe can become far more better - Besides the procedures of flashing etc and upgrading firmwares on androids seems less hassling then the iphone's platform - over here, we don't get phones with carriers - we have to get them off the market - the only phones available on carriers are Blackberrys -so upgrades etc have to be taken care of on our own - which is why i prefer android because i can do it sitting at home -

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones