• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung S23 camera - RAW is so restricted (PRO mode only?)

peterh337

Android Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2015
It seems RAW is enabled only in their "PRO" mode, but that has no auto exposure so each time needs to be tweaked.

This is really dumb and hard to believe it was intended.

3rd party apps I could find do not support the three cameras it has. For example Open Camera (which I used for years on the S10E, but after some OS or app update it became unreliable) can do RAW anytime but does not support the x3 optical zoom.

If there was an "get auto exposure" button on the PRO mode, that would be a reasonable solution, but I can't see one.

Thank you for any tips.

The camera is really good. I also had a Canon G7X Mk 2 which went on Ebay after I got the S23 because it was hardly better.

I did actually find the auto exposure options in the factory camera app, in the PRO mode.

Not sure they work correctly, or usefully. But better than nothing. Now I need to sort out why the PRO mode gets auto cancelled after a while.
I was puzzled when you said that Pro mode didn't do AE, because it clearly does. Of course it mislabels the exposure compensation feature as "EV", which are the units you adjust exposure in but as such both the actual (auto) exposure and any compensation you apply are both in EV and so it's a poor choice of label (if they employed any photographers in their camera team they'd know there is a standard exposure compensation symbol).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones