• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung s4 starts with Custom screen and unlock padlock

D

Deleted User

My phone recently quit working. This is a Verizon phone, purchased directly from a store two years ago.
The phone will not go into safe mode... initially would display the Samsung logo screen, but wouldn't move from there. Now it has decided to start up and display SAMSUNG and an open padlock. When I plug it into my computer, it is not seen. Totally stuck and open to suggestion.

As far as I know, I am using the original cable. I have several mini/micro USB. The phone has never been modified other than the standard updates from Verizon. I have moved on to an s6. Would love to see if I can get this s4 back up and running.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
To download the firmware from Sammobile you create a free account. Free download can take close to a hour but best place to get firmware. When you get ready to use Odin you put the phone in download mode. Hold volume down+ home+ power till you are ask to continue then press volume up. Then connect to PC with Odin running.

Upvote 0
Start up screen.jpg

Upvote 0
Since you did not do anything to get the Custom message on your phone (rooting, flashing) and it will not finish booting up or connect to PC, something maybe going on with the mother board. If you haven't installed Kies3 to get all Samsung drivers you could try that. Until you can get PC to recognize the phone not much else can be done.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
One thing that I should have suggested earlier is to try a factory reset from recovery. With the phone off,if still in download mode pull and replace battery to turn off. Hold volume up+home+ power till you see blue writing in upper left side of screen then release power button. This should put you in recovery. Use volume down to navigate to factory reset then press power.

The reason I ask about the S6 is that Verizon has a very good Software Update and Repair Tool. Usually when you connect your phone(S6) you get several pop-up messages from Verizon to install software that will help connect phone to PC. One of those is the tool. Great to have on PC if ever needed.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones