• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung to Take On Apple

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
When we first saw Samsung’s Android-based tablet device outed by their South African Twitter account, it made a very positive impression on us. Regardless of what you think about Samsung, their support, and their TouchWiz UI, you have to admit that the Samsung Tab is a nice looking specimen.According to the Korea Herald, that 7-inch [...]Catch up on the best Android Apps at DroidAppShowcase and AndroidApplications.com!!!

More...

I swapped my iPhone 4 for Android (TB) and couldn't be happier. I plan to get the 8.9 when it comes out.

I do wonder, though, if the improvement will be as great as with the phone. On the phone I love updating widgets (sports, weather, etc.), but the pad is more of a dedicated device, not one I always have on and with me. Mostly reading and surfing. We'll see ...

Upvote 0
Why do you mention the support? Are they known to lack? I owned a i760 WM phone and had excellent support from Samsung.
I'm probably going to buy the new honeycomb 8.9 when it arrives and would like to know the opinions of others.

Welcome to the Android Forums!

The user "phandroid" is a bot. It's posting press releases, of sorts, for articles posted to the phandroid web site.

In this instance the above snippet is associated with the following article...

Samsung to Take On Apple’s iPad With 8-inch and 10-inch Tablets

Upvote 0
I am going to buy both sizes. The larger for my use around the house and the smaller to put in my laptop case, for use when traveling. Which is something I do frequently. I am so excited about these.

Having a lot of experience with the various Hardware Brands, I find Samsung quite good about support contrary to the opinions of many. I attribute their negative thinking, being too quick to judge without having the facts... and I'm not blaming them or being critical.

Having been using Samsung for years, I am very aware of the unreasonable delays with Android upgrades and such, however what many people are not aware of is that the Carriers are also the ones that hold up the process and that's another story for another time.

But suffice to say, it's getting better and before too long it will be a non issue. Believe me Samsung is a reasonable company that wants your money just like the rest and they know they will keep you much happier if you get your updates in a faster fashion.

I'm simply sharing my personal experience with lots of Samsung Smartphones both Android and others. Samsung wide screens (all over my house) and other Samsung Products.

Yet that said I also feel that HTC makes terrific smartphones and is a very good competitor to Samsung. As a cross platform engineer I also work with OS X and iOS, and use an iPhone. On one hand I appreciate Apple's style, quality, and good user experience. Yet I absolutely cannot stand the culture of the company with it's "we're superior to everyone else" mentality. The super arrogant narcissistic CEO, and the censorship they impose on their users.

Personally my number one favorite is the open environment with the proper controls, structure and some closed aspects as implemented by Google. Nothing can be fully open and be truly excellent, it's just not possible. It's wonderful to dream about but not realistic.

I have an iPad that doesn't run flash.. what a stupid move that was on Apple's part.

But unexpected? Absolutely not. They are at war with anyone that does anything other than suck up to them and never question a single thing Apple does. I am NOT one of those people.. and I've been using Apple laptops for years. But I also use others like ThinkPads and the new Sony VAIO Y I am currently composing this on.

I'm not married to any brand or platform, nor do I advocate for any of them. I have loads of different smartphones, laptops, desktops and the like because I'm a hard core tech enthusiast, and formally trained as a computer scientist. My personal joy comes from having several activated lines with Verizon and AT&T so I can use a few smartphones concurrently just like I enjoy the choice of what laptops I wish to use on any given day.

I'm NOT bragging about the vast selection of gear that I have, but rather sharing some background so that you know I can FAIRLY and NEUTRALLY evaluate any new smartphone, tablet, or laptop and give some interesting feedback to this terrific forum.

I have my preferences of course, and that's Windows 7 & Linux on the desktop, and Android solely on my smartphones due to all the good things and flexibility it offers.

The future is bright and promises lots of Android fun to come. This party is just getting started.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones