• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sandisk MicroSD 32gb Class 4 write speed

I've purchased a 32gb Sandisk Micro SD card for my Samsung Galaxy S2, and the write speed seems very low. I was using an 8gb class 4 card in the phone and had around 5gb of music on it. Transferring this to my PC took around 10 - 15 minutes, transferring it back onto the new 32gb card would take around an hour according to windows.

I performed a speed test on my PC and it said it was transferring at around 2mb/s. However im currently running a speed test on my phone and its currently running at 4mb/s.

Basically I need to know if either of these numbers sounds right for this type of card, and if not what speed should I be getting?

First of all, congratulations for being among the few that actually tries to test their purchases.

Where did you get your memory card from?

Here's a heads-up if it helps any: Black market items are *everywhere*, and are even starting to confuse normally valid distribution chains.

And Yes, the items DO often look precisely the same down to the logo and anything else printed, Pixel for pixel. The manufacturers themselves can't tell without looking at the internals of the items sometimes.

Absolutely do not buy things that can be knock offs from eBay. Do NOT pay attention to the happy reviews----I once bought a bunch of black market Energizer batteries because of this. The reviewers might well be ecstatic, but only because they don't know what they're talking about. And the direct vendor to you might not even know---After emailing him back and forth, I believe that to be the case with the battery example of mine.

And nope, Amazon is not a slam-dunk either. Amazon uses disparate suppliers that may or may not have properly vetted supply chains. I can see the vast "oh great, now what" look on everyone's faces when they learn this.

Where do you buy from? Sigh. I can't tell you----Amazon for the *most* part is ok, but test things the moment you buy them, and make sure you have a free return policy. If you do not, make sure you contact Amazon via live chat---I got a marketplace purchase return shipping cost refunded this way.

Reactions: FrankXS
Upvote 0
Check card against mine using SDTools App.

Consider however real world will not always match benchmark depending on file size. Bigger files tend to be slower on Class 4 while smaller files are slower on Class 10.

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Check card against mine using SDTools App.

Consider however real world will not always match benchmark depending on file size. Bigger files tend to be slower on Class 4 while smaller files are slower on Class 10.

This is a GINORMOUS bump. So, I apologize. But I came across this thread while googling.

I am getting a micro sd card for my s3. Everything is raving about class 10's and UHS-1's. "The higher the class, the higher the write speed, the BETTER".

But then ive been doing some more research and all of that is true when you are using these micro micro sd's for high end cameras. And that for cell phones, its pointless and actually slower. I read that a class 10 on a cell phone will drain the batter and take longer trying to read a file.

I read that class 4 is the way to go with micro sd's for cell phones. I will be using my micro sd to store music files and program my phone to save my pics there every time I take a pic on my phone.

The price difference between a class 4 and a class 10 is $100+. So maybe the class 10 is faster, but unless it is 30secs faster, then I am willing to deal with a few seconds difference.

Now the guy I just quoted said class 4 is better for reading smaller files but slower at reading larger files. while class 10 is the opposite: faster for reading larger files, but slower at reading smaller files. So my next question is...what is a large file and what is a small file? is a individual song (~5mb) considered a larger read for the micro sd card or a small one?

If I am using my micro sd for my music files, my main concern is playing the songs smoothly off of the micro sd card. The card will read each song file individually, right? or does it read all the songs as a whole?

Upvote 0
Class 4 will handle audio with no issues at all.
If you watch HD films though you will notice a difference between class4 and Class10.

I have a Lexar 32gb class10 and can watch HD films from the card with no stutters.

Thanks, If I ever put a movie on my phone..which i may when I travel..I would probably just put it on my internal memory. I wouldnt be storing movies on my phone. More so just putting a movie or two on my phone when needed and then taking it off a day or two later.

what are the speeds of the internal memory?

Upvote 0
This is a GINORMOUS bump. So, I apologize. But I came across this thread while googling.

I am getting a micro sd card for my s3. Everything is raving about class 10's and UHS-1's. "The higher the class, the higher the write speed, the BETTER".

But then ive been doing some more research and all of that is true when you are using these micro micro sd's for high end cameras. And that for cell phones, its pointless and actually slower. I read that a class 10 on a cell phone will drain the batter and take longer trying to read a file.

I read that class 4 is the way to go with micro sd's for cell phones. I will be using my micro sd to store music files and program my phone to save my pics there every time I take a pic on my phone.

The price difference between a class 4 and a class 10 is $100+. So maybe the class 10 is faster, but unless it is 30secs faster, then I am willing to deal with a few seconds difference.

Now the guy I just quoted said class 4 is better for reading smaller files but slower at reading larger files. while class 10 is the opposite: faster for reading larger files, but slower at reading smaller files. So my next question is...what is a large file and what is a small file? is a individual song (~5mb) considered a larger read for the micro sd card or a small one?

If I am using my micro sd for my music files, my main concern is playing the songs smoothly off of the micro sd card. The card will read each song file individually, right? or does it read all the songs as a whole?

I'm curious where you are buying microSD cards where there is $100 difference between a class 4 and a class 10? A 32GB Class 10 microSD typically is about $30 online, about $40 for a Sandisk.

I will agree with others, that it is "buyer beware" when it comes to microSD cards -- know who it is you are buying from and what brand you are getting.

Upvote 0
I'm curious where you are buying microSD cards where there is $100 difference between a class 4 and a class 10? A 32GB Class 10 microSD typically is about $30 online, about $40 for a Sandisk.

I will agree with others, that it is "buyer beware" when it comes to microSD cards -- know who it is you are buying from and what brand you are getting.

May I ask where your getting a 32GB Class 10 from Sandisk for $40? And tis is a reputable dealer? Cause I was looking at a Class 6 Sandisk 32GB at BestBuy and they wanted $80.

Now I plan on putting a TON of games on my card and various other apps, so Im not sure what to get. Everywhere I go theres a different story... Class 4... Class 6... Class 10. And I hear so much about black market garbage it makes me nervous dealing outside of a major store... but damn... $80 for only a Class 6... feel like Im being robbed. Then add on that also want a USB Reader for it? They do sell them also right?

So yea... if you can point me to someplace that you would't think twice about purchasing from and could save me money off that $80... would be grateful as could be. I prefer the Sandisk Mobile Ultra series.

Upvote 0
May I ask where your getting a 32GB Class 10 from Sandisk for $40? And tis is a reputable dealer? Cause I was looking at a Class 6 Sandisk 32GB at BestBuy and they wanted $80.

Now I plan on putting a TON of games on my card and various other apps, so Im not sure what to get. Everywhere I go theres a different story... Class 4... Class 6... Class 10. And I hear so much about black market garbage it makes me nervous dealing outside of a major store... but damn... $80 for only a Class 6... feel like Im being robbed. Then add on that also want a USB Reader for it? They do sell them also right?

So yea... if you can point me to someplace that you would't think twice about purchasing from and could save me money off that $80... would be grateful as could be. I prefer the Sandisk Mobile Ultra series.

If you buy a microSD from Best Buy, you basically are getting robbed. Best Buy tends to mark up "accessories" by 200% or more in order to make up any loss on the discounts and sales on the primary merchandise.

As for a SanDisk 32GB Class 10 microSD, you can currently buy one at Newegg.com for $42.99. Amazon has the Class 4 version of the SanDisk microSD for just $20, they have the Class 6 available (though through a partner) for $36 after shipping.

Upvote 0
If you buy a microSD from Best Buy, you basically are getting robbed. Best Buy tends to mark up "accessories" by 200% or more in order to make up any loss on the discounts and sales on the primary merchandise.

As for a SanDisk 32GB Class 10 microSD, you can currently buy one at Newegg.com for $42.99. Amazon has the Class 4 version of the SanDisk microSD for just $20, they have the Class 6 available (though through a partner) for $36 after shipping.

Thanks for the quick response... now I see NewEgg is actually coming from a company called USEcoZone... are these other companies usually reputable?

Upvote 0
In the case of Amazon and Newegg, they offer a guarantee that covers purchases made from other vendors on their site.

Yes, but it still requires you to identify that there's a problem first. And then there's the *hassle* factor: many people will just say "heck with it" and not bother returning things.

Amazon has a LOT of sketchy suppliers under the Marketplace banner.

Upvote 0
hey just came across this thread i have s3 too and i tried playing 1080p files i never faced any problems playing files from a 2 gb class 4 sd card so even if u are going for 32 gb i dont see why movies or videos will be required to be put on internal memory.
i watched videos on s3's video player vlc's beta neon is sticky with with lower res files so umm... hope you might be having some bit more info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones