• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saved Drowning Boy, Killed my Phone

Not trying to sound rude or heartless, but 600 bucks is a lot of money. You dove in after the kid (no doubt that was the right thing to do) and lost a material possession. BUT, you also saved someone's kid!!!

Look at the big picture, if you get a new phone, great. If you don't, well it was only a phone. Things happen. Brand new cars get wrecked everyday.

The kid's dad is getting you a phone. IMO, you have no room to complain.

My .02

He's not getting him a new phone. He is only contributing $350 to the $600 Darin's wife spent on a new one.

I also don't buy for a second he can find a new Incredible on Craigslist for $350 right now. I'd like to see one legit ad that has an available Incredible in this guy's area for $350.

Upvote 0
He's not getting him a new phone. He is only contributing $350 to the $600 Darin's wife spent on a new one.

I also don't buy for a second he can find a new Incredible on Craigslist for $350 right now. I'd like to see one legit ad that has an available Incredible in this guy's area for $350.

I'm not looking to argue.... :)

The guy is contributing something, which we all will agree is better than nothing. Also, if the guy is able to get one for $350 then it's better than OP's current phone which doesn't have a working screen.

Phone > No phone

Upvote 0
I'm not looking to argue.... :)

The guy is contributing something, which we all will agree is better than nothing. Also, if the guy is able to get one for $350 then it's better than OP's current phone which doesn't have a working screen.

Phone > No phone

I agree (about not looking to argue). But my point was simply I think Darin's post might have been misread by either me or you and some others.

Darin's getting a new phone no matter what. It does not sound like this guy is going to find Darin a new one for $350. He is only willing to contribute $350 to the $600 Darin's wife already spent because he "can get a new one for $350 on Craigslist." I am saying he can't. If he can, let him do so and Darin can cancel his order and/or return his when it arrives.

I just can't believe a father is cheaping out in a situation like this. It really is another sad example of a lack of morals and selfishness, in my opinion. But to each his own.

Upvote 0
I just can't believe a father is cheaping out in a situation like this. It really is another sad example of a lack of morals and selfishness, in my opinion. But to each his own.

Without trying to take this thread too off topic, where does the line get drawn though. I mean personally, I don't have $600 to my name. I don't have $350 to my name.

If I had a kid that was drowning and someone saved him, my wife and I would be eternally grateful, we really would. Still doesn't change our financial situation though. :(

On the similar note. If I was driving a 100k sportscar and crashed it to save the kid crossing the street, it wouldn't change the fact that the kid's parents wouldn't/don't have the money to do more.

:)

Just a sad situation all the way around. I, for one, am glad that the OP did the right thing at least!

Upvote 0
Without trying to take this thread too off topic, where does the line get drawn though. I mean personally, I don't have $600 to my name. I don't have $350 to my name.

If I had a kid that was drowning and someone saved him, my wife and I would be eternally grateful, we really would. Still doesn't change our financial situation though. :(

On the similar note. If I was driving a 100k sportscar and crashed it to save the kid crossing the street, it wouldn't change the fact that the kid's parents wouldn't/don't have the money to do more.

:)

Just a sad situation all the way around. I, for one, am glad that the OP did the right thing at least!

I completely understand. And perhaps this guy doesn't have more than $350 to his name, and in that case, I would understand his situation as well. That said, based on the sequence of events, I am almost certain, without knowing this guy at all, that he has the extra $250. He was at first willing to pay the full price. Then he took back the offer because he thinks Darin is asking for too much (since allegedly it can be had for $350). Not because he needs that extra $250 to support his family.

In any event, this is indeed getting a bit off-topic and really is a moot point. The guy is only willing to pay what he's willing to pay. I just know if I were this guy (whoever he may be), I would find a way to get the guy who jumped in after my son a new phone at no cost to him. End of story.

Upvote 0

Agreed. I'm a father of 2 yr old little girl.. If someone, like Darin, saved my girl I would do whatever it takes to make that $600 and get him a brand new cell phone.. $350..... ????!!!!!

Upvote 0
I did get "somewhere" with Verizon. They said that due to the fact that I didn't have insurance, and since it's been over 30 days (I got it on 4/29), that normally I'm out of luck. But given the circumstances, they are willing to allow me to get a replacement Droid Eris for $50.

I know beggers can't be choosers, but I feel like I did a good deed, and I'm getting a downgraded phone for it. So I told them I'd think about it and let them know tomorrow, but I think I've already made up my mind.

I guess I don't have much of a choice but to get the parents to pay the full amount, can't say I didn't try with Verizon. Still waiting to hear back from HTC, I'm hoping tomorrow, since I'm assuming they don't work on the weekend.

How much would HTC charge to replace the screen... or would they even consider replacing it being that it was due to water damage?

- Darin

haha, yeah some deal. $50 more for them for a phone that was going to end up in the junkyard soon anyway.

The Eris is a great phone, and if you can't come up with the cash for the Incredible, it beats the alternatives. Coming from an Incredible, however, you will be very disappointed in the screen size, screen quality, and speed of the Eris compared to the Incredible. I say follow Steven58's attempt and/or get the parents to pony up the cash. If all else fails, I'm sure VZW will still offer you the Eris in a week or two if you have no other choice.

wow...my ass is worn out after reading this entire thread. thanks for your good dead darin...you will definitely be repaid sometime in the future...

one other piece of advice...take the eris from verizon for 50 bucks and ebay it.i'm sure it will bring well over 50 bucks....i would also tell the parents how much the phone costs and tell them to pay whatever they think they could pay.i would hate to strong arm them...but that's just me

+++1

Alright, so new developments, you all ready for this...

So anyway, about 2 hours ago my wife called Verizon and ordered me a new Incredible. Her reasoning was, "Darin this is your graduation present and you're not getting screwed out of it because you saved some kid's life."

So my wife calls the parents to let them know that it's going to be the $576.33 (or whatever the amount was), and the father says something to the affect of "Gee, that's more than we expected, but it is what it is. Where do I send the check to?"

Then low and behold, 15 minutes ago he calls back to say something to the affect, "You know we really didn't plan on spending $600 for a new phone, and really three people are at fault here, us, Darin, and the homeowners."

He went on some speel about how he can get one on Craig's list for $350 and that pretty much he's not willing to pay more than that.

Do I just let it go, take the $350, and forget about it?

- Darin

I'm late on this thread, but have you thought on taking up Verizon's offer of the $50 Eris? Get that and sell the phone if on ebay it's selling for $200+ then you have around $150 (maybe less due to fees) that you can use to subsidize your phone.

I was going to suggest you ask Verizon instead of the Eris, how much would it cost if you changed it to the Incredible. I'm thinking they'll give you a deal...but you just said your wife ordered the Incredible already...well I think you can call Verizon to see if this still works...I mean if you can pay less than the $600, it's better isn't it? :)

This might be a bit of prick...but you can ask the homeowner for the difference. I mean if the kid were to die in their property...they'd be facing a lot of issues...including being sued by the kid's parents for negligence...

Edit: that's a very kind and selfless thing you did...I'd feel devastated if my N1 got ruined because I saved someone's life...though I say this...I won't feel comfortable asking strangers for money...

Upvote 0
Yup... he said I'm at fault for having an electronics device around the pool.

- Darin

Yeah, this just further demonstrate this guy's lack of class, character, and quite frankly, intellect. Get what you can from him, take any donations that come in, and call it a day. Your time and energy are worth more than the $150 or so that's left that you'll need to cover the cost. Plus, you just may find a buyer for your damaged Incredible on ebay or craigslist.

Reactions: secretLOVER
Upvote 0
Yup... he said I'm at fault for having an electronics device around the pool.

- Darin

WOW...WHAT AN ASS!!!

I would've be a bitch and said, 'oh maybe I shouldn't have been so reckless and jumped in and save your kid then'

What nerves some people have -_-;

I'll understand if he says, 'I'm financially in a tight position'...to justify paying for part of the cost of the phone

Reactions: secretLOVER
Upvote 0

Very good point Kelmar... I'm just going to take the $350 and be happy that at least they are willing to give that much. Hopefully any balance from selling my semi-broke phone (remember, I'm selling it with full disclosure - I have to say that so I don't get flamed) will offset the remaining amount.

- Darin

Upvote 0
Lol, its not like he had extra time to think about what's in his pockets. When you see a kid drowning, you go get the kid. Do first, think later, thats what happens in fast situations

I truly believe that now... I've never been in a situation like I was in on Saturday (other than my oldest son choking on on a piece of hard candy, that gave us a scare). It almost seemed as if the world around me changed or slowed down and my only focus was on the boy... and that was all within a split second. Weird. I wasn't thinking, trust me, if I was I would have removed my phone, lol.

- Darin

Upvote 0
+++1
I was going to suggest you ask Verizon instead of the Eris, how much would it cost if you changed it to the Incredible. I'm thinking they'll give you a deal...but you just said your wife ordered the Incredible already...well I think you can call Verizon to see if this still works...I mean if you can pay less than the $600, it's better isn't it? :)

Yeah, I already went back and forth with Verizon on that argument... they won't do it because the phone is out of stock, that position is according to the rep.

+++1
This might be a bit of prick...but you can ask the homeowner for the difference. I mean if the kid were to die in their property...they'd be facing a lot of issues...including being sued by the kid's parents for negligence...

The homeowner was confronted they said the Home Owner's deductible is $500 and they didn't want to go that route. They are probably worried about their premiums going up, which is understandable.

- Darin

Upvote 0
Now is time for me to get flamed.

In a manner of speaking it was all 3 parties fault. When you have people over, you need to make sure that your pool is safe for all people allowed there. The kid's parents should take their share for not watching their kid. It is also Darin's fault. He made a choice to jump right in the water. He had his phone in his pocket. Those are facts. I was at a pool party last weekend and I took my phone out of my pocket right away because there were little kids in the pool. Even though a certified lifeguard was sitting next to me, I made sure this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

With that said, I would call the guy back. Tell him you ordered it from Verizon because you felt most comfortable buying it there. Tell him you would be happy with whatever they are willing to contribute and call it a day. If you speak of this situation to the homeowner and he offers to pay some, you can give him the same answer that you would take whatever he can offer and be happy.

Between the $350 and whatever donations you get here, you should be close to spending $200 or less for the new phone. Not great but not horrid either.

PS Despite what I said, had it been my kid you would be getting a check for $600 (or as much as I could scrape up with the rest as quickly as I could get it to you).

Upvote 0
+++1
I was going to suggest you ask Verizon instead of the Eris, how much would it cost if you changed it to the Incredible. I'm thinking they'll give

Yeah, I already went back and worth with them on that argument... they won't do it because the phone is out of stock, this is according to the rep.

+++1
This might be a bit of prick...but you can ask the homeowner for the difference. I mean if the kid were to die in their property...they'd be faci

The homeowner was confronted and they seemed a little peeved that we'd even ask. They said the Home Owner's deductible is $500 and pretty much that they weren't going to go that route.

Maybe you should bring up that had the kid drown, or other damage(brain damage paraylisis etc) they would be on the fire for a lot more than $600....

I would have done the same as you op. I really hope it all works out.

But... if you are a scammer,(not saying you are, but these things happen often!) Well, it would only be suiting if you were drowning and someone saved you in the near future. And then you would have to replace their phone.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
You did a good deed I say. Though I don't know you, and you haven't been on the forum very long (neither have I), I won't donate as you could be a scammer as well, others should think of that too before donating X amount. But none the less, saving a life is generally a good deed.

Personally, I'd be the type to call the father back and ask him if they can or cannot afford it(even a few payments over 2-3 months etc) to cover part or all of the cost of a new phone. If he is honest and says he can, but won't, then I'd take him to small claims court(judge Wapner/Judy-LOL) if they are close enough to me. Even if he doesn't pay after ordered, it leaves a stain on his record.
Now if he says he can't afford(may be lying/never know), I'd ask him to try and send a few bucks my way when he can, and maybe still stain his record after a year etc. Just before statute of limitations would run out. Now, if he's rolling on Dubs and can't pay. The Sick Puppies song "You're Going Down" comes to mind.

Upvote 0
Alright, so new developments, you all ready for this...

So anyway, about 2 hours ago my wife called Verizon and ordered me a new Incredible. Her reasoning was, "Darin this is your graduation present and you're not getting screwed out of it because you saved some kid's life."

So my wife calls the parents to let them know that it's going to be the $576.33 (or whatever the amount was), and the father says something to the affect of "Gee, that's more than we expected, but it is what it is. Where do I send the check to?"

Then low and behold, 15 minutes ago he calls back to say something to the affect, "You know we really didn't plan on spending $600 for a new phone, and really three people are at fault here, us, Darin, and the homeowners."

He went on some speel about how he can get one on Craig's list for $350 and that pretty much he's not willing to pay more than that.

Do I just let it go, take the $350, and forget about it?

- Darin

Tell him you found one on ebay that he can get you. HTC Droid Incredible (Verizon Wireless) Brand New - eBay (item 220616568295 end time Jun-10-10 16:39:17 PDT)

Maybe your price will look a little better now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones