• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

saving downloads from market place to SD card not phone

how do i save apps from the market place to my sd card and not the phone.

i have downloaded quite a few apps to play with and get a feel for what each does etc, but not ive had issues where i need to free up space.

i have found that my apps go to the phone by default and not sd card.

just wondered where i change this, if its possible, and how i can move any that have already been saved to the phone??

thanks
steve

I don't think you can make the SD card the default place to save apps, because many apps don't support being stored on the SD card as they have to to be coded with that in mind (or updated to add that).

If you have Android 2.2 installed, you can move apps to the SD card under Settings - Applications, then click on each app in turn. If it supports being moved, the option will be there.

An easier way is to download this app: -

SDMove - Android app on AppBrain

It scans the phone for all apps and (amongst other things) displays those that can be moved to the SD card and you can move them by clicking on them and selecting the relevant option. It won't show literally every app on the phone, but this is by design and you can read the reason why here: -

UnlistedApps - sdmove - Why are only some apps listed? - Project Hosting on Google Code

Upvote 0
hi all, ok, thanks. with the size of some apps then, this is actually going to take to long to fill up the available memory on the phone, just seems an overight so to speak ?
i know if they were installed on the SD card then their would probably be a downturn in performance due to the need of having to access the card instead.

thanks for all your replies.
im on orange and whn can i get a legimate version of 2.2 ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones