• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saving photos/videos with the date in the file name?

jonrosenfeld

May 26, 2010
All,

I'm a Desire user whose last phone was a Nokia n96. That phone saved photos with the date + a number as the file name. (ex: two photos taken today would be 0606201001 and 0606201002). It also automatically saved photos and videos into folders it would create that were dated.

Is this possible on our android phones, and I just haven't figured out how? Time-stamping the pictures themselves doesn't count. It's the file name I miss being dated.

Surely the n96 didn't deal with photos in a smarter way than the Desire...!

Thanks for any ideas and/or help,
Jon

At least on my phone the default is to save pictures using IMG_{date}_{time}.xxx. It looks like this is part of the camera API since two different camera apps do it the same way. Neither one has a way of changing it or the location that it can be saved. My guess is you probably have to find a camera app in the Play Store with that gives you access to change those parameters.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones